Subject: RE: [wsdm] Proposal for [Disc03], [Disc08] and [Disco11] (was RE: [wsdm] Discovery Scenarios [fred])

William,

I think for the purposes of the bootstrap discovery we'd need to define a specific relationship type. That itself may be done in Relationship work, but, IMO, Discovery needs to explain how to use it for bootstrap.

Imagine you get a WSDL, then you use a "singleton" pattern and query/retrieve relationships, then
A) what am I talking to via this singleton pattern (it is not a WS-Resource per se, so it is not supposed to be a manageable resource, so relationships of what to what am I retrieving)
B) if I wanted to discover what manageable resources share this given WSDL, then what relationships do I need to look for. "contains" relationship may not point to a resource that shares this WSDL. Why can't we have a predefined relationship type for this?
C) if I retrieve all relationships, then which relationships I need to be looking for when bootstrapping?

IMO, 1) is fine, but may be too open ended, 2) is easier for implementers to understand the bootstrap discovery without too many assumptions.

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)

From: Vambenepe, William N [mailto:vbp@hp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 6:04 PM
To: Sedukhin, Igor S; Wsdm (E-mail)

Hi Igor,

I like 1) except for the restriction to one kind of relationship. For the sake of discovery, why would I be forced to limit myself to "manages" relationships? If a WSEE tells me it "contains" a bunch of services I am going to use that for discovery. If a service tells me it "depends on" a set of services I am going to use that for discovery.

Obviously this will only be fully resolved once we have our relationship work in place. But we might have enough common understanding on what this is going to look like (just by looking at WSMF and WS-M) to not invent specialized constructs that we know are going to be provided in a more general way by relationships.

Regards,

William

e_workgroup.php.