Subject: RE: [wsdm] capabilities proposal

Heather,

Great writeup. I agree on the premises, however

#1. In WSDL 2.0 we could use interface QNames as such indicators of implemented capabilities. Even if there are no operations defined in an interface, it could be used as a marker. What you've proposed (wsdm:capabilities on portType) is just fine to mimic that in WSDL 1.1, but I'd include WSDM interface QNames in that list.

#2. Run-time discovery (reflection) could be via first asking the WSDL and then doing #1. The reason is: even if one retrieves the list of supported capabilities, there is no reliable way, really, to use of any of those capabilities without looking at the WSDL binding.

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)

From: Heather Kreger [mailto:kreger@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2004 3:57 PM
To: wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [wsdm] capabilities proposal

Hi folks, Here is an initial proposal for discovering capabilities. I think we may be able to use something like this for discovering manageability services as well.
(See attached file: Capabilities.wsdm.060404.doc)

This is just a proposal and we can discuss on Thursday.

Heather Kreger
STSM, Web Services Lead Architect for SWG Emerging Technologies
Author of "Java and JMX: Building Manageable Systems"
kreger@us.ibm.com
919-543-3211 (t/l 441) cell:919-496-9572