Subject: RE: [wsdm] managed domains and unique event identifiers

1. "managed resource" needs to be defined. It is not defined in MUWS
now.
2. "go up and down" needs to be defined. It is not clear what that is.
We may all be thinking of different things reading it.
4. "managed domain" or "management domain" or "manageability domain"?
Which would be the right term here? This seems more like "management
scope" than a "domain".
5. Creation of "managed domain" is a bit confusing, IMO.

I suggest that we simply say "Event identifiers are unique for only the
activity scope of the implementation of the manageable resource which
observers the events. That is, if activities of an implementation of a
manageable resource are interrupted, such as due to a power cycle, the
activity scope is terminated. After that, event ideftifiers would be
unique to another activity scope of the same implementation of a
manageable resource.

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)

From: Homayoun Pourheidari [mailto:homayoun@bea.com]
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 3:30 PM
To: wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi,

Below is a porposed text to describe managed domains and the unique
event identifier requirements for wsdm events.

Cheers,
H.
--

A managed resource may go up and down many times during its life cycle.

Every time that it is alive or up, it has an associated scope that
includes all state and property values of the resource among other
manageability information.  We call this scope the managed domain of a
resource.

For all events associated with the scope of a resource, all
notifications that describe the events and are created to report them,
must have unique identifiers.  The identifiers are not required but may
also be unique globally across the collective managed domains of all the
resources that a manager is managing.

When a resource is forced to restart its scope (e.g. goes down and comes
back up) a new managed domain for that resource is also created.  WSDM
does not require that notification ids produced in the latter managed
domain to be unique across the current and the former managed domains of
the resource.  However, more capable managers may provide ways to
preserve some continuity of scope between various instantiations of a
resource's managed domains as a way of providing a longer perspective on
the life cycle of a  managed resource.  Unique identifiers for
notifications across all of the managed domains of a managed resource
may be one such candidate for continuity.