Subject: RE: [wsdm] MUWS: New issue to consider?

Ok, so when one talks to a manageable resource's manageability endpoint SOAP messages will need to carry <muws-xs:ResourceID> in the header. And therefore, EPRs will need to contain that element in the reference properties (in addition to other junk). That seems reasonable to me, however it does restrict the implementations somewhat. For example, if I have that Axis thing that controls that one and only resource, then I don't need the ResourceId in SOAP messages. Also there may be times when ResourceId is so precious that you don't want unauthorized access to it, so you don't want an EPR to have it, but rarher will include some generated key which is only known to that one endpoint implementation.

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)

From: fred carter [mailto:fred.carter@amberpoint.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 9:19 PM
To: Sedukhin, Igor S
Cc: wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org

Sedukhin, Igor S wrote:
I would be fine with saying that an EPR is constructed by the "provider" which is close to the implementation and therefore knows where to put what. For example, if I'm a provider and I use say Axis and I don't want to mess around with reference properties and I have only one resource to worry about, then I will *advertize* an EPR which has just <wsa:Address> in it. Now, if I'm a .NET with WSE provider then I may be able to get the WSA dispatch for free and therefore I could advertize an EPR which includes <wsa:Address> and <wsa:ReferenceProperties> in it. So the choice is at the "provider".
OK, I think.

The client needs to only know of WSA and how to deal with it in either case. It does not need to know why the provider did it one way or the other.
true, but

What is it that we can say here except "use WSA"?
What we can do though is to say use only wsa:Address and wsa:ReferenceProperties for resource disambiguation.
So.  A "provider" returns an EPR with a bunch of junk in it.  Presumably, the EPR is returned wrapped in some element (<wsa:EndpointReference/>) that clearly identifies the parts?  If so, then the client can properly marshall/bind these into its SOAP:header message section. If not, then the issue is that the collected junk will have a <wsa:Address/> and/or <wsa:To/>, but may also have an <foomgr:goodness/> element.  The client can't know that this is a reference property -- reference properties have no identifying mark (when placed in a header).

Assuming this is reasonably correct, things are OK.  The question was more about whether we wanted to normalize on thie reference property name.  If, for example, we used <muws-xs:ResourceId/> as the known reference property (since it's already required as part if identity & will presumably identify the resource),  then things work out nicely for constructing EPR's, aiding in one's own "discovery", working with well-understood environments, and helping to foster interoperability.

It may be slightly over-spec'd, but I think it adds some clarity and linkage to the concepts...

/fred