Subject: Re: [wsdm] There is no UUID URI scheme

Response below:

Thomas W. Studwell
Senior Technical Staff Member, Autonomic Computing Architecture
IBM Software Group
C151/Bldg 500
4205 S Miami Blvd, Durham, NC 27703
(919) 254-7574 Fax: (919) 254-7628 Mobile: (919) 619-1038
studwell@us.ibm.com

"What marks the mind of the strategist is an intellectual elasticity or flexibility that enables him to come up with realistic responses to changing conditions... In strategic thinking, one first seeks a clear understanding of the particular character of each element of a situation and then makes the fullest possible use of human brainpower to restructure the elements in the most advantageous way." (Keniche Ohmae, The Mind of the Strategist)
Inactive hide details for "Vambenepe, William N" <vbp@hp.com>"Vambenepe, William N" <vbp@hp.com>

          "Vambenepe, William N" <vbp@hp.com>

          11/18/2004 03:10 AM

<wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org>

cc

Subject

[wsdm] There is no UUID URI scheme

The text for eventId says that it SHOULD use the UUID URI scheme, but
there is no such registered definition of this scheme, as you can see at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes.

Unless someone can point me to a definition of the scheme that I can put
as reference in the spec I sugguest that we remove this SHOULD
statement. I am not sure what it buys us anyway. All it does is to make
it harder for resources to generate an eventId. For example, my simple
resource can be programmed to just keep a (persisted) counter that is
iterated and to use
http://vambenepe.com/thisIsJustForEventsFromResourceFoo/<value-of-counte
r> as the eventId.
What is wrong with this approach?

<tws>EventId is necessary to distinguish one event from another within a management domain.  There has been a lot of discussion on techniques to do this within a localized scope of a management domain and the discussions prove that this attempt to redo what the industry has recognized for a very long time is futile.  Consequently the definition of EventId should go back to iso:uuid.  Here is the reference: ITU-T Rec. X.667 | ISO/IEC 9834-8 "Naming, Adressing and Registration - Procedures for the operation of OSI Registration Authorities: Generation and Registration of Universally Unique Identifiers (UUIDs) and their Use as ASN.1 Object Identifier Components". See http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/asn1/uuid.html for reference.
This change, like several others, have occurred to try to compromise fanciful assertions that a web service (this is WSDM afterall) is not capable of generating a UUID.  This is nonsense and these attempts at last minute compromise have only gotten us deeper in trouble and made WSDM significantly weaker IMO.</tws>

Regards,

William

To unsubscribe from this mailing list (and be removed from the roster of the OASIS TC), go to
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsdm/members/leave_workgroup.php.

GIF image