Subject: Re: [wsdm] Incorrect text in MUWS P2, Section 2.5.1

"Empirical" sounds good to me.

Thomas W. Studwell
Senior Technical Staff Member, Autonomic Computing Architecture
IBM Software Group
C151/Bldg 500
4205 S Miami Blvd, Durham, NC 27703
(919) 254-7574 Fax: (919) 254-7628 Mobile: (919) 619-1038
studwell@us.ibm.com

"What marks the mind of the strategist is an intellectual elasticity or flexibility that enables him to come up with realistic responses to changing conditions... In strategic thinking, one first seeks a clear understanding of the particular character of each element of a situation and then makes the fullest possible use of human brainpower to restructure the elements in the most advantageous way." (Keniche Ohmae, The Mind of the Strategist)
Inactive hide details for "Mark Peel" <mpeel@novell.com>"Mark Peel" <mpeel@novell.com>

          "Mark Peel" <mpeel@novell.com>

          12/07/2004 09:46 PM

<fred.carter@amberpoint.com>, <ellison@ieee.org>

cc

<vbp@hp.com>, <wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org>, Brent Miller/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, Thomas Studwell/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

Subject

Re: [wsdm] Incorrect text in MUWS P2, Section 2.5.1

 I agree "experiential" is unfamiliar and would look like a typo to
many readers.  "Empirical" fits Tom's original meaning pretty well.

Mark Peel
Web Services Infrastructure
Novell, Inc.

>>> Fred Carter <fred.carter@amberpoint.com> 12/7/04 4:30 PM >>>
Thus quoth Mark Ellison (~ 12/7/2004 5:23 PM ~)...

> Tom,
>
> my bad.  I made the change from experiential to experimental as a
> readability change.  In my opinion, this change should revert.
>
> Knowing this, I'd probably still change to something like:
>
> "The ordering of situation categories is based on *operational* data

> showing relative importance of various types of events."

+1
my vote wouldn't change...

--
Fred Carter / AmberPoint, Inc.