Subject: Re: [wsdm] WSDM interop in GGF14

Fred,

Hosting an interop is certainly an activity that I know the GGF would
be happy to help with should the TC be interested. I am happy to put
the TC in touch with the organizers of either GGF14 or GGF15. GGF15
will be a larger working group plus main plenary track meeting which
would a better place to announce big splash kind of statements to a
wider audience.

It might be an idea to do the interop like activity at GGF14 and a
splash at GGF15. Another possibility would be to collocate one of the
OASIS interop fests (covering many TC's activities) with a GGF.

On 3 Mar 2005, at 1:56, Fred Maciel wrote:

> Hi,
>
>      I got a homework to think about doing the interop in GGF14. Here
> is my
> opinion, written a bit in a hurry.
>      First of all, independently of GGF14, I think that there are two
> things
> that we need to do:
> (1) Promote WSDM to everybody that's related to us: the Web services
> community, the systems management community, the Grid community etc.
> (2) Promote WSDM to the GGF (Grid community).
>      I think that the main objective of the public interop is (1).
> While I
> think that GGF14 is at good place (Chicago) and has a good timing, not
> all
> the people in (1) will come. In fact, GGF14 is only targeted at the
> GGF WGs,
> not the Grid community in general. So we will need some additional
> marketing
> to make it effective. I don't know how these things work, so I won't go
> deeper into that one.
>      Almost independent of (1), there is (2). Yes, I really mean
> "almost
> independent": even if we make an interop event in GGF14, it does not
> mean
> that the GGF participants will come, especially if it's in a separate
> room
> and/or in the tutorial/workshop day. So my idea is to get an outreach
> session (keynote-like session, big auditorium, at a time that not many
> other
> sessions are going on), and for instance show things working through a
> GUI
> on the projector. (If we make it short, we might be able to use a
> piece of
> the OGSA-WG outreach session, which is GGF prime time). We can get also
> other sessions as a tutorial, like we did in Hawaii, or to discuss
> technical
> stuff.
>      Opinions?
>
> Regards,
>
> Fred Maciel.

Take care:

     Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >
     Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe
     Hayes Park Central
     Hayes End Road
     Hayes, Middlesex  UB4 8FE