Subject: Re: [wsdm] some feedback on the interop scenarios doc

"Springer, Ian P." <ian.springer@hp.com> wrote on 03/21/2005 06:33:14 PM:

> It seems to me that in the MOWS Manageability References Act, the
> Manageability References capablity should be implemented by some sort of
> singleton Web service (e.g. WeatherStationWebServiceRegistry), rather
> than by a particular Weather Station MOWS service. To me, it wouldn't
> make sense for a particular Weather Station MOWS service to expose a
> GetManageabilityReferences operation that returns a list of Weather
> Station MOWS service EPRs. Is there something I'm misundertanding here?

The GetManagebilityReferences operation is not a discovery style operation to find weather service web services. The interop scenario doesn't explain the usage well, but the relevant section in the MOWS spec does.

GetManagebilityReferences is an operation added to a functional web service, ie a web service who's primary purpose is some business logic. In our example, it could be the weather station web service. The response to this operation returns an EPR that is used to manage the functional web service. It does not typically return weather station EPRs, it returns an EPR to the management provider with associated reference parameters if needed so that it can manage the weather station web service. It may return multiple EPRs if multiple EPRs are used to manage the resource.

> It would be nice if the interop doc mandated a more automated way of
> obtaining the EPRs for the three interop services, such as defining a
> Web service with operations that return the EPRs (as the WSRF interop
> did for the printer EPR) or saying that the EPRs should be obtainable
> via HTTP GET requests. I think this would make it a bit easier for
> participants to point their clients at each other's services.

I'd second that. I'd prefer that the interop doc specify that the EPRs are obtained by a HTTP GET request against a URL that maybe given on a whiteboard, note, etc. The current interop doc says that an EPR will be written on a whiteboard etc. This is complicated because an EPR is represented as a blob of XML potentially with reference properties etc. It maybe unnecessarily complex to copy down the XML from a whiteboard to kick off the interop.

> Finally, section 4 specifies that the initial EPRs should be WSA 2003/03
> EPRs, but I think it makes more sense for them to WSA 2004/08 EPRs,
> since this is the version that MUWS itself uses.

I'd prefer that we keep WSA 2003/03 as the initial EPR version. Most of the interop scenarios involve sending requests to implementations of 2004/06 versions of WSRF. This version of WSRF references 2003/03 WSA. Using 2003/03 WSA for initial EPRs reduces the potential versioning issues with WSRF implementations.
Keeping the WSA versions straight during the interop is complex. We're taking the approach of accepting either version and attempting to send the specific version.

David Melgar
Web Services Toolkit Development
Emerging Technologies
dmelgar@us.ibm.com