Subject: RE: [wsdm] Question about consistency of ResourceId.

Title: Question about consistency of ResourceId.
Same impl -> MUST report same RID
Different impls -> MAY NOT report same RID (use Correlateable Properties capability to deal with this)

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)
-- (631) 342-4325 ..
1 CA Plaza, Islandia, NY 11749

From: Richard_Landau@Dell.com [mailto:Richard_Landau@Dell.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 12:40 PM
To: wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org

Newbie question regarding the ResourceId property (I apologize in advance; I am just getting involved with the WSDM specs).

WSDM MUWS part 1, section 5.1.2, line 555 states, "An implementation that exposes several manageability endpoints for the same resource MUST report the same ResourceId at each manageability endpoint."  Seems clear enough, and a good restriction.  However, the immediately preceding sentence says, "It is not guaranteed that different manageability endpoints associated with the same resource will, in all cases, return the same ResourceId."

Puzzled.  The two statements seem on their faces to be inconsistent.  Is it possible that two manageability endpoints -- that purport to manage the same resource -- might be deemed to belong to two different "implementations," and therefore not subject to the first restriction?  Or something like that?

Can someone please point me to some examples or other docs that will help me understand this?  Thanks in advance.

rick

Richard_Landau@dell.com, System Mgt Arch & Stds
+1-512-728-9023, One Dell Way, RR5-3 Box 8352, Round Rock, TX 78682