Subject: Member status and meaning

Regarding the discussion this morning on the call - from http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php although no mention of “Voting member – probation”

a.       "Member" is an Eligible Person who is allowed to subscribe to the TC email list, participate in list discussions, attend and participate in TC meetings, and make Contributions to the TC. The process for becoming a Member of a TC is defined in section 2.4.

  1. "Observer" is an Eligible Person who is subscribed to the TC email list, and may attend TC meetings, but is not allowed to participate in TC email list discussions, participate or speak in TC meetings, or make Contributions to the TC. The process for becoming an Observer is defined in section 2.4.

  1. "Voting Member" is a Member of a TC who has voting rights in the TC. The process for gaining voting rights is defined in section 2.4.

And saw this explanation on the list

The new TC Process defines a new role - Voting Member. The reasoning behind this was the problem with the attendance rules. If you happened to be traveling or for other reasons unable to make the calls, you had to drop to observer status, which means that you can listen but you can't contribute or actively participate. Voting Member now assumes the attendance requirements - if you want to be able to vote either by voice or by ballot and to count towards quorum, you must till attend 2 out of 3 meetings. However, if you're really interested in participating but know that you won't always be able to meet the attendance criteria, you can now be listed as a "Member". Observers remain the same - read only list privileges, listen only teleconference privileges.

Although, I’m pretty sure we don’t run our calls this way.

Richard