Subject: RE: [wsdm] Groups - WSDM Primer: An introduction to WSDM (wd-wsdm-primer-introduction_v1.doc) modified

Just some general comments on an initial scan of the document.

1.  The double colons in the title look strange (IMHO).  I would suggest
dropping the first colon between Management and Primer.  Or better yet,
just drop "Primer:" (see point 3).

2.  Since I basically wrote the first chapter (weaknesses, mistakes and
all, for which I take full responsibility), would it be appropriate that
I also be listing as an "editor"?  (I realize that usually the
specification lists only the editor rather than the authors, but this
single chapter may well count as an exception.  Otherwise, please clean
up the revision history to be more explicit about this history of this
particular volume.)

3.  I think there's a question we need to decide regarding section 1.1
(Overview of the Primer).  If this stand-alone document is to be read as
a separate document introducing the fundamentals of WSDM, then this
section probably needs to be cleaned up, e.g., statement such as
"Examples are developed throughout this primer..." need to be abstracted
into just a statement about the structure of WSDM.  If this introduction
is to be published as part of the Primer, then leaving section 1.1 as it
stands makes sense.  How are we presenting this document?  (I thought it
was to be a handout at the EMW, in which case I would drop "Primer:"
from the title and rewrite some of section 1.1.  Also, I would probably
not refer to "this primer" in the text of this document.)  How are we
publishing the Primer?  (As one volume or multiple volumes?  How will
the introductory section be published with a multi-volume primer?  If we
keep it as a standalone document, the some of section 1.1 as it
currently standards should be part of a very short introductory section
the current Primer.)  Also, the final paragraph that is currently in
this draft should be dropped from a standalone document, but included in
a short introduction to the primer itself.

4.  The first subsection under section should be 2.1, not 2.1.1?

5. Since section 1 of the full Primer is still undergoing revisions, we
have a problem in keeping this standalone document in sync with the
"master".  For example, changes are under consideration for the
discussion on the Model Agnostic section (section 2.1.1.4, which should
be 2.1.4).

Kirk Wilson
Architect, Development
Office of the CTO