Subject: WS-RF Resources vs. WSDM Resources

One of the things we would like to do in WSDM 1.1 is to make sure that when the text refers to a resource, it is clear whether the reference is to a WS-RF Resource or a WSDM Resource.  The fundamental difference between the two, as I believe has been discussed, is that a WS-RF Resource is a “logical entity”, well, something abstract, whereas a WSDM is anything that is of interest to manage.  As editor of the MOWS spec, I started this AI to make sure the text was correct and consistent by looking at the so-called “mind-map” in section 2.4 of the MOWS spec.  The most significant thing that the diagram does over the corresponding (but slightly different diagram in section 2.3 of MUWS Part 1) is to make a Web service endpoint a “resource”.  Is that really what we want it to say—isn’t the “resource” under MOWS the Web service that is being managed, not its endpoint.  At any rate, the use of the “resource” still left open the whole question of what is the relationship between a WS-RF Resource or a WSDM Resource—which is it?

Also, I believe we have eliminated the notion of the “manageability capability interface” as a specifically specified “thing” that represents 1 manageability capability in recent decisions about what a Manageability Capability is. Is that correct, Bryan?  At least, it seems to be a subtlety that could be eliminated.

So, I have attached another mind-map, which, IMHO, better expresses the relationship of Resource, WSDM Resource and WS-RF Resource.  By just “Resource”, I refer to one of the general definitions of “resource”, e.g.,  IETF, W3C, or an RDF-definition. Comments would be appreciated—if only to make sure I’m on the right track.

This is also a “straw” poll for what to do about section 2.4 of MOWS?

  1. Keep the section and diagram as it current is?
  2. Replace with it with the attached (perhaps with minor tweaks)
  3. Whack the section and forget about having a “mind-map”.

Kirk Wilson
Computer Associates

Architect, Development
Office of the CTO