Subject: [wsia] WS Interoperability Organisation

Just to clarify my point at the end of the phone conference:

 From IBM's press release:

"The mission of WS-I will be to provide implementation guidance to
support customers deploying Web services, promote consistent and
reliable interoperability among Web services and articulate a common
industry vision for Web services."

and

"To assist in ensuring the interoperability of Web services, WS-I will
initially create a suite of tools and materials for testing
implementation and conformance with "basic level" Web services standards
-- XML, SOAP, WSDL and UDDI.  These testing capabilities are important
so customers can ensure that their implementations comply with the
best-practices use of these Web services specifications.  Tests will be
self administered and aimed at uncovering unconventional usage or errors
in specification implementations, thus improving interoperability
between applications and across platforms."

WS-I will, I presume, go through a requirements gathering process, and
move on to the creation of tools for testing implementations. It seems
to me as we move into use-case phase, where bindings to XML, SOAP etc
will be indicated, there'll be an opportunity for WSIA to both
contribute to the requirements phase of WS-I, and to be an early testing
ground for the WS-I tests themselves. I hope we are able to take this
opportunity.

A minor point: I am a little disturbed by the similarity of our acronym
to theirs. I can't think of a good solution to this, but one thing that
helps is writing them as WS-I (with the hyphen) and us as WSIA. Or maybe
I need to get out more often :)

Cheers,
Royston