wsn message

Subject: Re: [wsn] WS-Addressing submitted to W3C as input

Steve Graham wrote:

Maybe I misunderstand your point (wouldn't be the first time).  The architectural notion is that we have references to resources.
Not in WSN.  Remember, we also use endpoints to refer to NotificationConsumers, which may or may not be resources.

The architectural notion is thus "destination for sending messages."

In the case of the endpoint returned in SubscribeResponse, we have an additional constraint:  Sending messages to that endpoint must affect only the newly-created subscription.  This may seem too trivial to mention, but there is no similar constraint on NotificationConsumer.  There might be some sort of multicast semantics behind a consumer endpoint, such that subscription 1 sends messages to A, B and C, while subscription 2 sends messages to B, C and D.  Why not?  We don't really care.  It's up to the subscriber to decide whether a subscription makes sense.

As far as I can tell, this uniqueness constraint -- that sending messages to the Subscription[Manager] endpoint will apply to the state of exactly one subscription -- is precisely what the IRP is trying to capture.

This discussion boils down to the syntax. Does the syntax allow only 1 pointer mechanism (my proposal) or does it allow n different
pointer mechanisms and the ensuing chaos to figure out which pointer mechanism to use for any given Web service.
It's not at all clear to me chaos would ensue.  We already have several issues -- where is the NP anyway, what topics do I want to subscribe to, should I UseNotify or not, and of course dialectable topic, precondition and selector -- which seem at least as likely to cause chaos as dialectable endpoints.  If dialecting endpoints is going to cause problems, there would seem to be a lot more to reconsider.

So from my standpoint, I see this as only a compatibility issue and syntax issue, a single standard reference mechanism to embody
the implied resource pattern.
OK . . . but again this seems to run directly counter to the statement that IRP is too tightly tied to WSA, and that a WSRF subgroup was going to look for a way to disentangle the two.

sgg

++++++++
Steve Graham
(919)254-0615 (T/L 444)