wsn message

Subject: Re: [wsn] Clarification on /wstop:Topic/@messageTypes attribute

"Vambenepe, William N" <vbp@hp.com> wrote on 08/14/2004 06:25:07 PM:

> WS-Topics says (in section 6 "Modeling topics in XML"):
>
> /wstop:Topic/@messageTypes
> An optional list of the QNames of XML elements that define the types of
> NotificationMessage that may be used with the Topic. A Publisher using a
> given Topic MUST NOT generate a NotificationMessage whose type is not
> included in this list, although the special value xsd:any indicates that
> any NotificationMessage type MAY be used. A given QName MAY appear
> multiple times in the list; second or subsequent appearance of a given
> QName are not meaningful and MAY BE ignored. If this list is empty, or
> the attribute not defined, the default value of "xsd:any" is assumed.
>
> Does this mean that the value of the @messageTypes attribute is a list
> of complex types or elements?

It is an optional list of the QNames of XML elements.

> The text looks very confusing the me. I
> think it should be "element" if only because it makes it a lot easier to
> know which one you are receiving (since a type won't give you the name
> of the top level element).

Perhaps this is a better wording:
It is an optional list of the QNames of XML global element declarations (GEDs).

> But if that's the case, the word "type"
> appears in way too many places in this text, including the very name of
> the attribute.

Understood, perhaps substituting "kind" instead of type (and a couple of other
changes of text to (hopefully) clarify:

An optional list of the QNames of XML global element declarations (GEDs)
that define the kinds of NotificationMessage that may be used with the Topic.
A Publisher using a given Topic MUST NOT generate a NotificationMessage with
root element whose QName is not included in this list, although the special
value xsd:any indicates that a NotificationMessage may have any XML element as root.