wsn message

Subject: RE: [wsn] Topic/MessagePattern dialect

Title: Message
Hi Steve,

I thought the issue was about the Dialect attribute on MessagePattern element that appears as part of the Topic element in the TopicSpace. I am not sure if we have any message exchanges associated with handling TopicSpace as such.

Consider the case where a NotificationProducer obtains a TopicSpace from somewhere and wants to decide a particular topic set to support. During this process, the NotificationProducer discovers that the Dialect attribute on some of the  MesssagePattern elements in the TopicSpace are missing. Do we specify how to handle this situation? If yes, how?

Thanks,
Sanjay

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Graham [mailto:sggraham@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, Nov 02, 2004 11:25 AM
To: Patil, Sanjay
Cc: Rick Rineholt; wsn@lists.oasis-open.org

One approach is to take this on a case by case basis.  Currently TopicExpressions are a component of the Subscribe Request, and we can specify in the description of the Subscribe Request that a Dialect MUST appear, and the Subscribe Request MUST fault if it is missing.

sgg

++++++++
Steve Graham
(919)254-0615 (T/L 444)
STSM, On Demand Architecture
Member, IBM Academy of Technology
<Soli Deo Gloria/>
++++++++

"Patil, Sanjay" <sanjay.patil@sap.com>

11/02/2004 02:17 PM

Rick Rineholt/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, wsn@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
RE: [wsn] Topic/MessagePattern dialect

Not sure what the specification could say here.

Ideally the Topics author should have specified a valid Dialect. If it's not there, then perhaps there is a domain specific default in place, or the author simply forgot to put the Dialect in there. I think the same issue also applies when the Dialect value is garbage or it is simply not recognized!

Providing an ability to specify default may offer some syntactic flexibility, but it still can not guarantee full error handling.

Since there are no message exchanges associated in this case, the issue can not be resolved by defining faults, etc.

Just some thoughts. Perhaps there are some good solutions that I am not aware of.

Thanks,
Sanjay