wsn message

Subject: RE: [wsn] WS-BaseN issues addressed in 1.3a

Title: Message

Hi Steve, David,

In the issues document that I just uploaded, I have now marked the following BaseN issues as Resolved: WSN 2.3, 2.11,  2.18, 2.19, 2.21, 2.22, 2.29, 5.2.

I am somewhat unclear about the status of WSN 2.17, and hence I have left its status unchanged (Open - approach agreed). We had discussed this issue on the Nov 8 conf call [1]. If I remember it correctly, there are still some changes (to fix some cut-paste error) pending. Please let me know if my understanding is correct.

Thanks,
Sanjay

-----Original Message-----
From: David Hull [mailto:dmh@tibco.com]
Sent: Saturday, Nov 20, 2004 0:17 AM
To: Steve Graham
Cc: wsn@lists.oasis-open.org

Do we restrict subscriptions to exactly one topic?  I thought wildcards were supported.  There is no conceptual reason getCurrentMessage couldn't support wildcards, but the semantics would require a little care.  Personally I'd rather not go there without good reason.

I didn't see (4) as equivalent to "topic not supported".  Topic not supported is in there, but it's conjoined with "exactly one", which I took as primary.

Steve Graham wrote:

David:
Thanks for examining the WS-BaseN draft.

With regards 2.17:
>2.17 Calls for three faults (InvalidTopicExpressionFault, TopicNotSupportedFault, TopicPathDialectUnknownFault) dealing with bad topic expressions >to be shared by both Subscribe and GetCurrentMessage.  The text mentions invalid topic expression and unknown topic path dialect, but not with these >particular names.  It doesn't mention TopicNotSupportedFault.

Subscribe lists the following faults (I number them in this email for ease of reference):
  1. ·        Unable to create subscription
  2. ·        TopicPath Dialect not understood
  3. ·        Invalid TopicExpression
  4. ·        Given TopicExpression did not match exactly one Topic supported by the NotificationProducer
  5. ·        The Topic is supported but there is no NotificationMessage currently available on that Topic
  6. ·        The Topic does not currently have a message associated with it.
  7. ·        Others, TBD

2 corresponds TopicPathDialectUnknownFault, 3 corresponds to InvalidTopicExpressionFault and 4 corresponds to TopicNotSupportedFault

GetCurrentMessage Lists the following faults:
  1. ·        TopicPath Dialect not understood
  2. ·        Invalid TopicExpression
  3. ·        Given TopicExpression did not match exactly one Topic supported by the NotificationProducer
  4. ·        The Topic is supported but there is no NotificationMessage currently available on that Topic
  5. ·        Others, TBD

1 corresponds TopicPathDialectUnknownFault, 2 corresponds to InvalidTopicExpressionFault and 3 corresponds to TopicNotSupportedFault.

Furthermore the WSDL expresses the convergence even more strongly:

      <wsdl:operation name="Subscribe">
         <wsdl:input  message="wsntw:SubscribeRequest" />
         <wsdl:output message="wsntw:SubscribeResponse" />
         <wsdl:fault  name="ResourceUnknownFault"
                      message="wsntw:ResourceUnknownFault" />
         <wsdl:fault  name="TopicPathDialectUnknownFault"
                      message="wsntw:TopicPathDialectUnknownFault"/>
         <wsdl:fault  name="InvalidTopicExpressionFault"
                      message="wsntw:InvalidTopicExpressionFault" />
         <wsdl:fault  name="TopicNotSupportedFault"
                      message="wsntw:TopicNotSupportedFault" />
         <wsdl:fault  name="SubscribeCreationFailedFault"
                      message="wsntw:SubscribeCreationFailedFault"/>
      </wsdl:operation>

      <wsdl:operation name="GetCurrentMessage">
         <wsdl:input  message="wsntw:GetCurrentMessageRequest"/>
         <wsdl:output message="wsntw:GetCurrentMessageResponse"/>
         <wsdl:fault  name="ResourceUnknownFault"
                      message="wsntw:ResourceUnknownFault" />
         <wsdl:fault  name="TopicPathDialectUnknownFault"
                      message="wsntw:TopicPathDialectUnknownFault"/>
         <wsdl:fault  name="InvalidTopicExpressionFault"
                      message="wsntw:InvalidTopicExpressionFault" />
         <wsdl:fault  name="TopicNotSupportedFault"
                      message="wsntw:TopicNotSupportedFault" />
         <wsdl:fault  name="NoCurrentMessageOnTopicFault"
                      message="wsntw:NoCurrentMessageOnTopicFault" />
      </wsdl:operation>
   </wsdl:portType>

>Further, the list for Subscribe includes faults that only apply to getCurrentMessage (topic expression names more than one topic, no message available >for topic).
Hmmm...
·        The Topic is supported but there is no NotificationMessage currently available on that Topic
·        The Topic does not currently have a message associated with it.
Should not appear with Subscribe.  This appears to be a stupid copy/paste error on my part.  Good catch.

> Unless I've grossly misunderstood, the issue should remain open.
The other possibility is that I misunderstood the proposed solution to the issue, in which case we should discuss at the next telecon.

sgg
++++++++
Steve Graham
(919)254-0615 (T/L 444)
STSM, On Demand Architecture
Member, IBM Academy of Technology
<Soli Deo Gloria/>
++++++++

David Hull <dmh@tibco.com>

11/19/2004 04:54 PM

Steve Graham/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc
wsn@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
Re: [wsn] WS-BaseN issues addressed in 1.3a

<>
  • 2.11 SubscriptionReference added to Notify, with explanatory text.  Closed.
  • 2.17 Calls for three faults (InvalidTopicExpressionFault, TopicNotSupportedFault, TopicPathDialectUnknownFault) dealing with bad topic expressions to be shared by both Subscribe and GetCurrentMessage.  The text mentions invalid topic expression and unknown topic path dialect, but not with these particular names.  It doesn't mention TopicNotSupportedFault.  Further, the list for Subscribe includes faults that only apply to getCurrentMessage (topic expression names more than one topic, no message available for topic).  Unless I've grossly misunderstood, the issue should remain open.
  • 2.18 The SubscriptionManager section now RECOMMENDs WSRL but SMs MAY support other means of destruction.  They MUST advertise what they support.  Closed.
  • 2.19 The NP may now return an "Unable to subscribe" fault, for whatever reason.  Closed.
  • 2.21 Clarifications of schema have been incorporated.  Closed.
  • 2.22 {Pause,Resume}Subscription[Response] are all explicitly defined as {any}.  Closed.
  • 2.29 TerminationTime is now an optional element in SubscribeResponse.  Closed
  • 5.2 Description of pseudo-schemas follows Steve's email, with explicit mention that it is "similar to the WSDL 2.0 Part 1 specification [WSDL 2.0".  We may tweak this later if a more official description appears, but for now the issue is Closed.

Steve Graham wrote:

The latest version of WS-BaseN [1] addresses:

WSN 2.3, 2.11, 2.17, 2.18, 2.19, 2.21, 2.22, 2.29, 5.2

Would someone volunteer to verify the issues were properly executed?

I am now going to start diving into the issues resolved at the Oct f2f.

[1]
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsn/download.php/10147/wsn-WS-BaseNotification-1.3-draft-01a.doc

sgg
++++++++