wsn message

Subject: [Fwd: New issue: Notification relationship IRI]

This just popped up on the WSA list.  Looked interesting (or is it old
news?)

--- Begin Message ---
AOL propses that the working group add an additional IRI to the list of predefined IRIs for the relationship values for the case when the message is a notification associated with another message.

In our messaging model, we have many situations where data will be returned on a response that has a documented lifetime (TTL) which may later be impacted by asynchronous changes made on the responding site (such as a change in the authorization data used to generate an authorization response) and we plan to send a subsequent message related to the incoming request that isn't a reply but is in fact a notification related to the request -- in our case it would be an invalidation notification.

One could argue as to whether such a notification should be related to the request or response, and while I think that may be out of scope for the WG, I think there are good reasons to make it related to the request as the sender will already have the means of associating an incoming mesage with the request message ID, so they don't have to add additional functionality to support associating an incomming message with a previous response messageID.

The proposed IRI would be:

    http://www.w3.org/@@@@/@@@/addressing/notification

with the Description:

    Indicates that this is a notification related to the message identified by the message IRI

Slight side note:  I think the description for the reply IRI should be clarified to indicate that the IRI in the description refers to the message IRI ("the IRI" doesn't make it totally clear which IRI we are talking about since they are both IRIs).

Conor
--- End Message ---