wsn message

Subject: some edits / suggestions for the latest WS-Topics spec (April 29, 2005 draft)

Note, these are mostly for the 2nd half of the spec. I'll try to send
comments on the rest of the spec next week.

Ian

main title on page 1
--------------------
edit: "1.2" -> "1.3"

section 7.3
-----------
typo: "consist are made up of" -> "consist of"

typo: "evalutaing" <sp>

typo: "FullTopicPathExpression" -> "FullTopicPath expression"

gram: "that limits the constructs" -> "that limit the constructs"

gram: "The constraint is the token" -> "The constraint is that the
token"

edit: "The ConcreteTopicPath dialect defined in the previous section is
a subset of the FullTopicPath Expression that contains no wildcards and
no '|' operators." -> "The ConcreteTopicPath dialect defined in the
previous section is a subset of the FullTopicPath dialect that contains
no wildcards, '//' separators, or '|' operators."

gram: "all the child Topics" -> "all of the child Topics"

typo: "XPATH" -> "XPath"

comment: "A TopicExpression MAY contain two or more wildcards (both *
and //)." -> I wouldn't consider // a separator, rather than an
operator.

edit: "tns:t1/t2 | tns:t4/t5" -> "tns:t1/t2|tns:t4/t5" (since spec
forbids whitespace)

comment: "tns:t1/t2 | tns:t4/t5" -> I think a better example would be
"tns:t1/t2|tns2:t4/t5"

comment: the examples suggest that the '.' wildcard can only be used in
combination w/ '//' at the end of a path,         but the grammar allows
it any place '*' can be used, except in the first path component; to
clarify this, I suggest adding two additional examples:

  tns:t1/.    (identifies all child topics of root topic t1, as well as
t1 itself)
  tns:t1/./t3 (identifies all children or grandchildren of root topic t1
that have the name t3)

7.3.1
-----
comment: "A Topic is not permitted if it is a root topic, or a
descendent of a root topic, that is not defined in the Topic Space." ->
This sentence is not clear. I suggest rewording as follows:

A Topic is not permitted if it is a root topic that is not defined in
the Topic Space or it descends from a root topic that is not defined in
the Topic Space.

edit: don't call the producer "X"; just refer to it as "the
NotificationProducer" (calling it X is confusing because capital letters
are also used for the topic names)

8
-
typo: "that is itself identifies" -> "that itself identifies"
inconsistency: '|' is quoted, while * and // are not?

9
-
edit: "final attribute" -> "'final' attribute" (2x)
edit: "that suggests a new child Topic" -> "that suggests one or more
new child Topics"
edit: "a Subscriber attempting to subscribe to a TopicExpression" -> "a
Subscriber attempting to subscribe using a TopicExpression"
edit: "a Publisher attempting to publish to a TopicExpression" -> "a
Publisher attempting to publish using a TopicExpression"

10
--
gram: "However there are" -> "However, there are"
comment: I like the idea that someone recently suggested of using the

11
--
edit: "by accessing the Topics Resource Property element" -> "by
accessing the wsnt:Topic Resource Property"  (note: prop name does not

Appendix B & D
edit: change copyright from "2004" to "2004-2005"