wsrf-comment message

Subject: Public Comment

Comment from: mark@coactus.com

Name: Mark Baker
Title: Principal
Regarding Specification: WS-Resource

First off, I'm unclear what the relationship is between a Web resource and a WSRF resource.  The definition provided in WS-Resource seems to be consistent with the W3C one ("The term "resource" is used in a general sense for whatever might be identified by a URI" - http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#id-resources), but I can't tell for sure.  Am I a resource, for example?  I'm identifiable and have a lifecycle, but I'm not sure if I'm a "logical entity" or not.

If wsrf:resource != web:resource, then I'm a bit confused about the motivation for this specification.  Why is a wsrf:resource a desirable thing to talk about?  That's not clear.  And why is it a better thing to talk about than a web:resource?  By definition of a web:resource, either wsrf:resource is equivalent, or it's less general, so again, I'm not seeing the value.

One of the key requirements/deliverables of the spec is described in 1.1.1;

"Define the means by which a resource can be distinguished in a message exchange between
a requestor and a Web service"

So, if wsrf:resource == w3c:resource, then you get that capability for free, as you make that distinction simply by targetting the message at the resource itself.   So instead of sending it to "http://example.org/service"; and adding a ReferenceParameter to get it to the next step to resource "A", you simply send it to the URI for A, (http://example.org/service/A , if A's lifecycle is controlled by the service).

Thanks.