wsrf-comment message

Subject: Public Comment

Comment from: charles@isomorphic.com

Name: Charles Kendrick
Title: Chief Architect
Regarding Specification: WS-ResourceProperties

I'm looking at this specification from the point of view of a tool that wants to automatically discover the basic CRUD (create, retrieve, update, delete) operations on stored entities (WS-Resources).

Clearly the standard Destroy operation maps to "delete" in CRUD, and UpdateResourceProperties maps to "update", and QueryResourceProperties maps to "retrieve".

However for "create", I don't see a standard operation.  In ShoppingCart example's WSDL, neither AddItem nor CreateCart use standard message types.  There doesn't seem to be a non-heuristic way for a consumer of the WSDL to identify those operations as the creation operations for the Item and ShoppingCart WS-Resources respectively.  There also doesn't seem to be any way for the service designer to mark those operations as creation operations.

Have I missed something or it is in fact not possible to declare CRUD operations that can be mechanically discovered?  Is this a non-goal of WSRF?