Subject: GGF DAIS and WSRF - Resending in monospace font

DAIS:
-----

                            DAIS Web
Client ---------------->    Service Impl. ----> WS-Resource ----> Resource (Database)
   Request     SOAP Body: SQL query string
   Reply       SOAP Body: SQL result string

In GGF (Global Grid Forum) DAIS (Data Access and Integration) group we are defining the WSDL that describes how a variety of database systems are accessed through Web Services. We have two basic scenarios for accessing databases (resources) through a query (currently XPath, SQL, XQuery) in a Web Service

Questions:
----------
Here are some questions for the experts (I am just trying to learn): --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Motivating Use Case:
----------------------
Here is an attempt at describing a motivating use case for the questions. There may be other motivating use cases.

M1. Goals
--------- M2. An Approach
---------------
M3. Set Up
                                                          [Resource Manager]                                                                                                                                                                   Client ------> Service Implementation----->   WS-Resource ------> Resource
             (Uses 'grid style names' for resources)      (Uses 'database style names' for resources)

M4. Reasons for having resource names in SOAP headers and in SOAP bodies
M5. A Supplementary Question - the 'blahblah' scenario
It is possible that the SOAP body could include a "connect to database 'blahblah'"  whereas the SOAP header includes a reference to database 'blahblah'. i.e., the SOAP header  and body both refer to resources of type database. Because of separation of concerns, there would be no easy way of policing or preventing the 'blahblah' scenario. It may not matter, if the answer to Q2 above is 'no' as the DAIS specification would refer to SOAP body content only, and would be silent on SOAP header content. The specific service implementation decides how to use reference properties and that determines whether overlap is possible. Inconsistency is possible too, e.g., SOAP header could refer to database 'blah' and the SOAP body could refer to database 'blahblah' - but that can happen today with protocol specific mechanisms such as http parameters.
M6. Finally
I would like to thank the many people who took time out to discuss many of the points in this note with me at weird times of the day and night. I am just trying to help identify the best approach for DAIS. Please forgive me if none of this makes sense.  I do hope that on this mailing list the length of a question is inversely proportional to length and number of answers :-) Last time I posted a  one line question on this mailing list,  at least 20 messages were generated on the same topic.

Susan Malaika