Subject: New IP Rules

Folks,

There are two aspects of the new IP proposals from OASIS that we need
to discuss and act up on. This will not be on the agenda for a couple
of week to give time to read the background material. The two items
are:

1) Selecting an IP strategy for the TC, see the first attached message.

2) Members who are listed as individuals will need to talk to their
employers to see if they will be allowed to be individual members in
future. I believe that this impacts University folks, since
Universities are becoming more possessive of IP. See second attached
note.

First Attached message:

> TC chairs:
>
> On 9 July OASIS announced to its membership a draft IPR Policy that
> has been developed by our Board, and requested that members review and
> provide comment on this draft. (See
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/members/200407/msg00002.html)
>
> One of the documents in this review is the proposed Transition Policy,
> which describes how TCs will transition to the new IPR Policy by
> selecting an IPR mode to operate under, after which the OASIS members
> (organizations and individuals) represented in the TC will vote to
> ratify that selection.
>
> In addition to the other issues in the IPR Policy that you
> individually and your companies may be interested in, I would also
> appreciate your TCs looking at, discussing, and commenting on the
> transition to the new IPR Policy, as well as any other parts of the
> Policy that will affect the day-to-day operations of the TC.
>
> -Karl

Second attached message:

--

Take care:

     Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >
     Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe
     Hayes Park Central
     Hayes End Road
     Hayes, Middlesex  UB4 8FE