Subject: Re: [wsrf] resolving issue 72: clarification of PutResourcePropertiesDocumentoperation semantics

Thus quoth Steve Graham (~ 1/7/2005 1:54 PM ~)...
Hi Fred:
What I was pushing at was something like this , if we do have this (which
I am not very keen on) that has this level of implementation variability,
then there needs to be some sort of policy assertion to clarify for the
requestor what to expect before it sends the PutRPDoc message.

Hmmm.  I suppose there could be a policy assertion (whatever that officially standardly means :-) ).  But I'm not sure who's making it.

If it's an attribute on the request, then I think that the requestor is stating the policy "[this is my desired state but] I'll take what I can get".  I'm not sure what the callee would want to say about it.  Such an option might be an optional capability, I suppose, in which case said service might wish to utter a statement defining the capabilities it supported.  But some policy here and on the client about this would seem pointless.  Unless the goal is employ a bunch of other computers as legal advisors for the web yammering endlessly about resource services (LAWYERS -- sorry, couldn't resist).
sgg

++++++++
Steve Graham
(919)254-0615 (T/L 444)
STSM, IBM Software Group, Web services and SOA
Member, IBM Academy of Technology
<Soli Deo Gloria/>
++++++++

Fred Carter <fred.carter@amberpoint.com>
01/07/2005 04:34 PM
Please respond to
fred.carter

"Sedukhin, Igor S" <Igor.Sedukhin@ca.com>
cc
Steve Graham/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, wsrf@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
Re: [wsrf] resolving issue 72: clarification of
PutResourcePropertiesDocument operation semantics

In general, if this is all a big deal, why not deal with it like pretty
much all other computer instructions do:  have an option.

In Windows/Macintosh/whatever, if I copy a folder/directory over top of
another, pop-op boxes may appear which say words to the effect "you've
already got a file named foo, do ya wanna stop, overwrite this one, or
overwrite them all."  Or if there are files that are readonly, not owned
by me, munged beyond words, etc.  Similarly, at CLI land, if I remove
things, I get "override permission XXX?" type questions left & right.

Why not just offer an option of front?  Default is to fault if somethings
are not writeable by the sender (or by anyone), but allow an option to
"silently ignore" such situations.  changeWhatYouCan=true or whatever. :-)
 It might return some status "some junk changed", depending upon how
silent one wished to be...

Suggestion offered.  No strong opinion one way or the other.  But it seems
like a reasonable compromise...  Not without precedence in system
services, certainly not in UI's.

/fred

Thus quoth Sedukhin, Igor S (~ 1/7/2005 1:17 PM ~)...
It is always implementation specific. The client needs to understand (or
guess :) the semantics of the implementation anyways. There is no such
absolute knownledge that a temperature property is not settable and has
this or the other effect. It is always relative to the client's
understanding of what the implementation will actually do. However, what
we provide is a MEP which takes care of some of the basic aspects of
this interation and makes that, at least, interoeprable. I think we're
fine.

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)

  _____