Subject: Re: [wsrf] Groups - wsrf-ws_resource-1.2-spec-wd-08.doc uploaded (fwd)

Mark et al,

Another posting from Mark. I will answer in line at the same time as
posting.

First wrt your earlier mail, a lot of the issues surrounding the notion
of what a resource is have been addressed in the recent drafts. What a
resource actually can be is much the same as the W3C model. However,
all the semantic around WSRF focus on the WS-Resource and the
associated MEPs. Have a look during our final Public review (starting
this afternoon hopefully).

On 15 Sep 2005, at 20:51, Mark McKeown wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Afraid I bounced again - I have got e-mails saying
> I am part of the TC!
>
> If my input starts to be a hindrence rather than a help
> let me know and I will stop - I cannot tell from the
> postings on the list if the TC wants to move on...
>
> cheers
> Mark
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Mark Mc Keown                            RSS
> Mark.McKeown@man.ac.uk 	                 Manchester Computing
> +44 161 275 0601     		         University of Manchester
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The example is just for guidance. The EPR is opaque. We even discussed
something like:

>     <wsa:ReferenceParameters>
>         <tns:ghfhrd>ggdtsr53674534</tns:ghfhrd>
>     </wsa:ReferenceParameters> ?

But it didn't seem to make things any clearer.

> From my understanding of ReferenceParameters they
> are similar to HTTP cookies ie. they are used to
> support stateful interactions.
>
> So a client who is given a EPR that contains
> ReferenceParameters should not share the EPR as
> the ReferenceParameters may be client specific,
> ie they might be used by the service provider
> to identify which client sent the message.
> So EPRs with ReferenceParameters should not be put
> into public or shared ServiceGroups/registries, just
> as bad things can happen if you share your cookies.

I don't see a problem here. If as a client I have put an RP in the EPR,
this one is not opaque and I can remove it before storing it in a
registry. RP's have many functions, some opaque and not.

> I think this is why the W3C think that cookies
> should not be used to identify resources as it reduces
> the visibility of the system.

This is one of the advances that WS-Addressing adds. At present many
URI/HTTP based systems use cookies to identify the resource at the end
of an http request, i.e. bunches of identification data not in the URI
- so much for the pure URI model. The WS-A EPR actually helps this
problem by providing a standard wrapper for all this stuff.

> Am I mistaken. Should the WSRF TC recommend that WS-Resource
> implementors not use ReferenceParameters to map messages
> to particular state?

I think this is an implementation choice. I know of several
implementations that don't use the RPs - others that do.

> (I believe this is an issue that Hugo Haas raised in
> the WS-Addressing WG -
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-addressing/2004Dec/0051)
>

> Is the use of EPRs as references to WS-Resources mandatory -
> ie. should the word MUST be used. (Currently only a SOAP binding
> has been defined for WS-Addressing - ie HTTP and Plain Old XML
> cannot be used to implement WSRF using EPRs)

This is an interoperability issue. Eventually there will be other WS-A
bindings.

--

Take care:

     Dr. David Snelling < David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com >
     Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe
     Hayes Park Central
     Hayes End Road
     Hayes, Middlesex  UB4 8FE