Subject: Re: [wsrf] Proposed resolution - re: InitialValues for properties in WS-RMD

Folks,

The use case of using the metadata descriptor to assist with the
deployment of services was always one of the advantages of having it
as a separate document (as opposed to the integrated approach used in
OGSI). I realize that the introduction is not very strong on this
point, it it does say,

> The second purpose is to provide information about the value
> restrictions of the resource properties in the resource properties
> document for the WS-Resource. This additional information may be
> associated with implementations of the interface as well as with
> the WSDL interface definition.

This is certainly not a new idea, but was indeed something dropped
somewhere along the way. I think we should put it back in.

This helps the client as well. There will frequently be a number of
properties that are not mutable. At design time a client could preset
these and not have to query for them, but only if the initial values
were included in the design metadata.

Also: The multiple Initial Values allow for the initialization of
properties with maxoccurs greater than 1.

On 6 Apr 2006, at 20:20, Murray, Bryan P. wrote:

> Dan,
>
> I will add this issue as you wrote it to the issues list.
>

> My comments on this issue:
>
> Maybe I am getting confused by the terminology, but to me something
> called "initial" values in a metadata document would not be
> modified, added or removed over time. The initial values would be
> used to initialize properties when a resource was created. After
> creation, the initial values metadata has no further use. The
> current value of the resource properties are available from the
> resource, but the initialValue metadata has no meaning once the
> resource has been created. With this understanding of the
> semantics, this metadata has minimal value to a client interacting
> with a resource having these initial values, as an instant after
> creation the resource is running and having its values changed to
> reflect the state of the resource.
>
> What am I missing? I don't understand how the initial values is
> useful to a client. The metadata is only an advertisement about the
> service, but why advertise something that has minimal value?
>
> Bryan

Take care:

       David Snelling David . Snelling . UK . Fujitsu . com
       Fujitsu Laboartories of Europe