Subject: Re: [wsrm] REL-13 proposal

I agree with Magdolna.
RM and message addressing/routing should be orthogonal. I don't think RM requires its own (or any specific)
addressing  protocol. RM specifies how the endpoint should handle messages to achieve the three reliable features.
It does not have to specify who is the endpoint.

Magdolna wrote:
> I think, we should separate two things:
> 1. what the Reliable Messaging requires
> 2. how the SOAP stack multiplexes the messages based on the entity identifiers of the endpoint applications (these are NOT WS-RM entities)

I think we should and CAN separate those two things. See the following discussion.

Iwasa wrote:
> If we use HTTP on TCP/IP, we can get those information from
> those transport protocol, but WS-R spec should be used with
> other transport protocol also. And it is better to be consistent
> to identify a message sender and receiver regardless the
> underlying protocol.

Here, a question arises: Do RM nodes have to identify message senders and receivers
for the RM features?

Suppose there is an unreliable SOAP messaging path to which we are about to add RM features.
Let's see if we need From/To to establish reliable messaging step by step:

1) [SLA] The endpoint ID may be required to establish parameter configuration on which both the sender
and receiver agree.
-- Even if it is true, do we need the endpoint id in each message?

2) [header creation] The sender may need the endpoint ID to assign sequence numbers for ordered messages.
-- This is a platform API issue. Once a message id is set, the node does not have to know the endpoint id to
manage ordering.

3) [sending] The sender has to specify the final destination (i.e., endpoint) of message to send.
-- This feature is independent of RM (the original unreliable messaging has implemented this).
Even though the node has to keep the endpoint URI for resending, it is an implementation issue
and it does not require From/To in a message header.

4) [intermediary] Intermediary nodes have to transfer a message from the sender to the receiver.
-- This feature is independent of RM (the original unreliable messaging has implemented this).

5) [receiving] The endpoint receiver has to be aware that it is the endpoint.
-- This feature is independent of RM (the original unreliable messaging has implemented this).

6) [handling] The endpoint node has to handle ack, duplicate elimination, and ordering
-- It can be done without From/To.

7) [delivery] The endpoint node has to deliver messages to the application which may be related to
the endpoint URI.
-- This is a platform API issue.

My conclusion:
Since RM and addressing are not interrelated, we do not need RM's own From/To in a message
header regardless of underlying transfer protocols, or accompanying addressing/routing protocols.

Note:
- ReplyTo is another story.
- Some intermediaries may correlate RM info and the endpoint info for optimization
(e.g. control resend interval, ack for duplicated messages). -- its an implimentation issue.
- The parameter configuration issue should be discussed separately.