Subject: Re: [wsrm] Fwd: message ordering

In my implementation at http://sourceforge.net/projects/easywsrm/
by default I implemented it the 3rd way, storing each message,
signaling the application layer when the "end" had been received
/and/ the (count-1) for the group matched the end number for the group.
Storing the messages themselves facilitated duplicate elimination
and message ordering policies.
Another advantage of using intermediary storage is that it should
be more scalable and less vulnerable to denial of service attacks
than a stateful in-memory implementation.

On Wednesday, September 10, 2003, at 04:29 PM, Jacques Durand wrote:

inline:

-----Original Message-----
From: John Fuller [mailto:jfuller@wernervas.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 1:07 PM
To: 'wsrm@lists.oasis-open.org'
Subject: [wsrm] Fwd: message ordering

An even stricter requirement than definition 2 would be to only pass
the whole group on
after all messages have been received for the group:  the group would
be all or nothing,
like a transaction, and the RMP would be responsible.
Admittedly, by definition 2, the application layer could just go off
the "end" event since messages are ordered, but a stricter requirement
would hide the coordination all-together from the application layer....

<Jacques> this "all or nothing" option is different from definition (2)
as a missing message would not just terminate the consecutive sequence
as far as the receiving app is concerned, but would cancel all of it.
It is indeed a "transactional" 3rd option that has obviously its own challenges:
Has the RMP enough space to persist the entire sequence? if not, its app will never
get these... deadlocks may occur across sequences. Also sequences have to be
clearly ended.