Subject: Re: [wsrm] R: [wsrm] Rel YY

Doug Bunting wrote:

> Paulo and Jacques,
>
> This appears to be a standard performance / storage trade off.  The
> direction chosen at our last face to face meeting emphasizes
> simplicity of the specification and implementations.  The suggestions
> below optimize on the other side, toward reduced storage
> requirements.  The included reasoning depends upon the number of
> messages received overall (in some time period) and how many of those
> messages come from the same origin.  Without clear numbers applicable
> to all WS-Reliability use cases (something we are not going to get), I
> find it hard to choose.
>
> Absent concrete numbers, I would probably lean toward the simpler
> solution already chosen by the group.
>
> thanx,
>     doug

It depends on how "simplicity" is defined.

If the sequence number is always present, that is more simple
for parsers than having it conditional on the ordering feature.

This is what the incoming wsrel 1.0 spec had in it.

Jacques solution lets the sender pick whether they want to use sequence
numbered groups.  By picking sequence numbered groups, they enable more
efficient duplication checking and the use of sequence numbers for multiple acks.

Thus I am not sure what is more simple.

Tom Rutt
(speaking as Fujitsu not chair)