Subject: RE: [wsrm] Explicit Stop with GroupExpiryTime present

Title: RE: [wsrm] Explicit Stop with GroupExpiryTime present

Tom:
inline <JD>

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Rutt [mailto:tom@coastin.com]
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 8:30 PM
To: wsrm

I would like to have us discuss this situation:

A sender starts a group at noon, and determines that it will last until
6:pm.

It sends all its messages in that group with GroupExpiryTime of 6:pm,
and whatever
message expiry times it requires (as long as they are not after the
GroupExpiryTime).

At 4: PM the sender realizes that the sequence is ready to terminate,
and sends the status=end
attribute in the last message.

My question is, should this group stay around until the
GroupExpiryTime,

<JD> depends whether all in this sequence have been received or not:
- if all received (group complete) the group can terminate immediately.
- if some are missing, we fall back to the "t1" case: GroupExpiryTime
is the limit (or until the missing ones arrive).
I have reflected this behavior in a complete proposal I will send after this mail.

or is is allowed to delete the group state info on the
receiver once the MaxExpiryTimeReceivedInGroup is reached?

<JD> I believe we have to distinguish "terminating a group"
from "removing its state". The group may be terminated (no more message expected for it)
but its state be kept around, precisely until MaxExpiryTimeReceivedInGroup, for dup checks.
(the rationale being, if duplicates arrive after MaxExpiryTimeReceivedInGroup, they
would by definition be expired, and not accepted by RMP. So no point to keep old IDs for
the group).

(i think this was 3a in Jacques proposal)