Subject: Re: [wsrm] [Section 2.4] Do faults do anything at all?

Tony Graham wrote:

>In reviewing how faults are handled as part of reviewing Rel 108/115,
>I found that it can appear that faults are ignored in all
>circumstances.
>
>Section 2.4, Guaranteed Delivery, of ws-reliability-0.94 states,
>beginning on line 521:
>
>   The guaranteed delivery mechanism will however do its best to get
>   the message delivered, e.g. resend a message in case of previous
>   failure.
>
>and also states, beginning on line 526:
>
>   If the RMP sending a Reliable Message does not receive an
>   Acknowledgment for a sent message that has not yet expired, it MUST
>   resend the same message with same Message Identifier to the
>   receiver RMP until the sender gets an Acknowledgment message from
>   the receiver, or until the number of resend attempts specified by
>   the RetryMaxTimes agreement item is exhausted, whichever occurs
>   first.
>
>A literal reading of this section would indicate that receiving a
>Fault message would have no effect on the Guaranteed Delivery
>processing since the only things that count are receiving an
>Acknowledgment message, the number of retries, and the message expiry
>time.

It seems that there is an implicit assumption in the current text that
faults are transient in nature, and a resend
could fix them.  We need to clarify what faulted messages should or
should not be resent.

If there is a fault indicated a bad header, and the header is fixed for
a resend, can that resend resuse the messageID from the
faulted message?

Is there ever a case where resending a message which faulted will result
in it being delivered the second time?

Tom Rutt