Subject: Re: [wsrm] Question on wsdl operation support

Tom Rutt wrote:

the current spec states the following: in lines 751 thru 757:
"
2.9 WSDL Operation Type
This specification supports Reliable Messaging capabilities for WSDL 1.1
[WSDL 1.1] One-way
and Request-response operation types only. While a Request-reponse
operation can use any of
the three RM-Reply patterns to receive acknowledgments or faults, an
One-way operation can
only use either Callback or Poll RM-Reply pattern. See the table below
for a complete support
matrix:
"

This, and the table, are not correct.

 A WSDL 1.1 R-R operation can still use any of the 3 patterns it's just that
 it doesn't make much sense to use the Callback and Poll pattern. Remember,
 we initially had the value Allowed under Callback and Poll pattern for WSDL
 1.1 R-R operation. Later we changed all 3 of them to be Supported and wanted
 to have a footnote saying that although an user can use either the Callback or
 Poll pattern for a WSDL 1.1 R-R operation, it is encouraged to use the
 Response Reply pattern itself so to minimize the network round trip.

A wsdl RequestResponse operation could have a payload in the response.
If there is a payload,  the poll response has no way to return a batch
of payloads.

 If the user selects a Poll pattern with R-R, the response to the actual operation
 will come in the Transport (Http) response and this response doens't contain
 any RM Headers. When a subsequent Poll request is sent, then a Poll response
 is sent back. So the application payload doesn't overlap with the Poll response.

Also, if we want to batch acks , then we have the same problem, in that
we cannot return batched response payload from the wsdl
requeste response.

 Batching doesn't make sense for Response pattern case as the definition says
 that the ack MUST be sent back with the underlying transport and also notion
 of the Sender is not clear in this case.

 Batching for Callback pattern is based on the replyTo endpoint.

 Batching for Poll is based on the request (i.e. if the poll request itself has
 a SequenceNumberRange).

Thus I thinke we have to change the table to have callback and polling
not supported for Request/response wsdl operations.

 Change is not necessary as explained above.