Subject: Re: [wsrm] Proposal to resolve REL-49

chris.hipson@bt.com wrote:

>Jeff said
>

>>The proposal is to use a WSDL 1.1 extensibility point. There is no
>>dependency on anything the WSDL 2.0 group may or may not do, now or in the
>>future.
>>

>Features, Properties and Compositors are features proposed for WSDL 2.0. Unless this TC wants to define and maintain them going forward then effectively we are discussing an intercept of WSDL 2.0 and there IS a dependency...
>
>Chris Hipson BT

Not clear to me that I would call it a dependency.....

I think what would be acceptable is a position which goes something
like: We use the proposed framework subject to the following:

1. The intended scope of use of this framework as an extension point in
WSDL1.1 is constrained to be within the WS-RM spec. This will not be
advertised in the WS-RM spec as a standalone framework for use in WSDL
1.1 in general.

2. When  WS-RM evolves to work with WSDL 2.0, assuming that in WSDL 2.0
a standard mechanism is provided for annotating WSDL with
properties/policies, WS-RM in that version would use the mechanism
provided in WSDL 2.0 instead of the stopgap framework that is being
proposed for WSDL 1.1.

BTW, there are other candidate ways of doing this (e.g. resource
properties in WSRF, or the Quality of Protection patterns as found in
WS-Security - after all all that is being addressed is annotation about
QoS properties/policies in the realm of Reliability), so we (HP) are not
necessarily married to this one that is being proposed, but would be
happy to have any one (including the one being proposed) that works in
the interim until the underlying core standard like WSDL grows up to
cover this space.

Jishnu.

--
Jishnu Mukerji
Senior Systems Architect          1001 Frontier Road, Suite 300