Subject: Prelim minutes of 6/22 Teleconference

Prelim minutes are attached.

Please provide corrections to list by Friday.

Tom Rutt
WSRM Chair

Title: Draft Agenda to WSRM TC Conference Call – May 06, 2003

Preliminary Minutes of WSRM TC Conference Call –June 22, 2004

The meeting of the WSRM TC  will take place by teleconference

Tuesday, June 22, 2004, from 5:30 to 7:30 PM Eastern Standard Time

1         Draft Agenda:

Draft Agenda to WSRM TC Conference Call

1 Roll Call

2 Minutes Discussion

2.1 Appointment of Minute Taker

2.2 Approval of previous meeting minutes –

3 Action Item Status Review

4 Discussions of unresolved comments

5 Discussion of Document progression

6 Discussion of FAQ for WS-Reliability

2         Roll Call

Attendance:

First Name

Last Name

Email

Role

Company

Voting Level

Joseph

Chiusano

chiusano_joseph@bah.com

Member

Booz Allen Hamilton

1

Jeff

Turpin

jturpin@cyclonecommerce.com

Member

Cyclone Commerce

1

Jacques

Durand

jdurand@us.fujitsu.com

Member

Fujitsu

1

Kazunori

Iwasa

kiwasa@jp.fujitsu.com

Secretary

Fujitsu

1

Tom

Rutt

tom@coastin.com

TC Chair

Fujitsu

1

Jishnu

Mukerji

jishnu@hp.com

Member

Hewlett-Packard

1

Robert

Freund

bob.freund@hitachisoftware.com

Member

Hitachi

1

Eisaku

Nishiyama

nishiy_e@itg.hitachi.co.jp

Member

Hitachi

1

Nobuyuki

Yamamoto

no_yama@bisd.hitachi.co.jp

Member

Hitachi

1

Alan

Weissberger

ajwdct@technologist.com

Member

NEC Corporation

1

Abbie

Barbir

abbieb@nortelnetworks.com

Member

Nortel Networks

1

Mark

Peel

mpeel@novell.com

Member

Novell

1

Anish

Karmarkar

Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com

Member

Oracle

1

Sunil

Kunisetty

Sunil.Kunisetty@oracle.com

Secretary

Oracle

1

jeff

mischkinsky

jeff.mischkinsky@oracle.com

Member

Oracle

1

Pete

Wenzel

pete@seebeyond.com

Member

SeeBeyond

1

Doug

Bunting

doug.bunting@Sun.com

Secretary

Sun Microsystems

1

Tony

Graham

Tony.Graham@Sun.com

Member

Sun Microsystems

1

Chi-Yuen

Ng

cyng@csis.hku.hk

Member

University of Hong Kong

1

 Meeting  was  quorate.

3         Minutes Discussion

3.1      Appointment of Minute Taker

Tom Rutt will take minutes.

Minutes will serve to record issue resolutions.

3.1      Approval of previous meeting minutes

The minutes of the June 14 teleconf are posted at:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/download.php/7335/MinutesWSRMTC061404.htm

Abbie moved, Jeff Turpin seconded

NO opposition minutes approved.

4         Status of Action Items

4.1      Action 052503-1 (Tom Rutt) pending

Tom took an action item to complete the status column of
pre public review issues list, with correct URLs.

4.2      Action 060104-5 (Jacques) Pending

Action: Jacques, will propose further edits, on the FAQ for composability.

Still open

4.3      Action 061404-1 (Iwasa) Pending

Action: Iwasa will produce new version 1.03 as the new editors draft as baseline.

Completed.

5         Discussion of Issues and editorial Comments

The following issues list includes items which need further discussion:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/download.php/7218/PublicCommentsIsssues-061404Input.html

5.1      PC24

PC24

Spec

Technical

Open

Doug Bunting

Title: Payload inclusion and MEPs other than request/response

Proposal: under discussion

Resolution:

·  Summary of WS-Reliability 1.01* issues discussed over past week
From Doug Bunting <Doug.Bunting@Sun.COM> on
13 Jun 2004 22:10:30 -0000

The following is intended to help get everyone caught up.

Most  of  this  derives  from  the abstract  model  in  our  specification,

resulting in  a number  of contradictions  between it and  the rest  of the

document, underscoring  a few over-general restrictions  or indicating some

under-specified  concerns.   While  some  of  the  issues  below  could  be

considered editorial, the bulk are at least minor technical concerns.

When  reading  the  following,  it   is  very  important  to  remember  the

distinction between  the capabilities the  WS-Reliability protocol provides

to  the producer  and consumer  and how  that protocol  maps to  use  of an

underlying  protocol.    Producer  /  consumer   interactions  occur  using

WS-Reliability  and  WS-Reliability  uses  SOAP messaging  (our  underlying

protocol).  The RMP  always has complete control over the  bits on the wire

though  the producer  and  consumer may  provide  the bulk  of the  message

content in a "pass through" fashion.

The example  "solutions" are provided  primarily to make the  issues clear.

While some  of these approaches may resolve  the issues, we must  come to a

common understanding of the problems before working on solving them.

1) The  existing descriptions of  the callback  and poll  RM-Reply patterns

    assume   the   underlying   protocol  supports   request-response   SOAP

    interactions but do  not explain what goes into  the underlying response

    of  the  separate  message  exchanges.   In  detail,  the  response  and

    synchronous  RM-Reply  patterns may  be  used  only  with an  underlying

    protocol that supports request-response (a less general restriction than

    currently specified).   For the callback and  asynchronous poll RM-Reply

    patterns,  we are using  only one-way  messaging; though  the underlying

    protocol  might support  request-response, we  should rely  on  the SOAP

    binding to describe  or profile how the underlying  response is used (or

    ignored).  For  example, we might  clarify that these  RM-Reply patterns

    involve two  separate one-way  SOAP message exchanges  (callback), three

    separate  one-way message  exchanges  (asynchronous poll)  or a  one-way

    followed  by a  request-response  exchange (synchronous  poll).  Such  a

    clarification might also address part of (2) below -- though at the cost

    of some generality.

1a) The  "non-essential assumption"  that the underlying  protocol supports

     request-response SOAP  interactions, stated  in section 2.1,  should be

     removed.  This is no longer a general assumption but something specific

     to two of our four RM-Reply pattern options.

1b)  The  HTTP Binding  should  be an  instance  of  the general  semantics

     described in  the main body of  the specification and  not extend those

     semantics.   The current  section  provides examples  of semantics  not

     described elsewhere.  After resolving the areas left under-specified or

     over-generalized in the rest of the document, we must recheck section 6

     for conflicts with these semantics.  In addition, any transfer protocol

     underlying  protocol  in  a  one-way  fashion should  be  described  by

     reference to the appropriate SOAP over HTTP binding.

2) Section  5.2 is completely  about the  producer /  consumer interactions

    though some of its text has been applied to the RMP use of an underlying

    protocol.  The matrix  in section 5.2 states that  all RM-Reply patterns

    may be used with  consumer-generated payload(s) or application responses

    on  the receiving  RMP side.   However, the  callback and  poll RM-Reply

    patterns  provide multiple opportunities  to return  payload information

    (as they are  currently described, see (1) above)  and the specification

    does  not  describe  which  option  is  recommended.   Our  new  Respond

    operation  (possibly restricted  to specific  RM-Reply  pattern choices)

    must be mapped  to the underlying protocol at least as  far as timing is

    concerned.  We may also decide to further restrict when the consumer may

    invoke the Respond operation.

2a)  The sentence  "However,  an RMP  is  not requried  to disinguish  WSDL

     operation types."  [please note  new spelling errors] was introduced in

     a recent edit to section 5.2,  enshrining an assumption a few of the TC

     had previously made.  This  assumption contradicts the complete control

     an RMP  has over the  bits on  the wire.  The  consumer may or  may not

     provide payload  information (the  consumer interface may  be described

     using either a request-response or  a one-way operation type).  Even if

     the receiving RMP  is only passing the information  through, it must be

     aware of when to wait for the consumer to invoke the Respond operation.

     This sentence should be removed.

2b) The  one-way consumer  interface and Response  RM-Reply pattern  is the

     most  direct combination to  reliably deliver  one-way messages  from a

     producer "hidden" behind a firewall.   The matrix in section 5.2 should

     not  disallow this  combination.   While synchronous  polling at  least

     works, it always requires an additional round trip.

2c) The matrix in section 5.2 also was the first to introduce the idea that

     the consumer  could provide information intended for  the producer.  We

     needed to extend the abstract model to introduce this earlier and avoid

     a contradiction between the matrix and the model.  I believe this issue

     has become editorial as we discuss the details of the edits necessary.

2d)  When using  the Response  RM-Reply pattern,  the  immediate underlying

     response  may be  lost  and the  sending  RMP may  query  using a  Poll

     request.   Should the response  to such  a "spontaneous"  Poll indicate

     which  referenced messages  included consumer  payloads in  the earlier

     response?  The sending RMP might  "just know" a consumer payload may be

     available from  information the consumer  provides (WSDL, say)  or some

     other means; an  indication of a consumer payload  in the Poll response

     informs the sending  RMP directly.  The sending RMP  can already decide

     when a resend might be  necessary and any indications the receiving RMP

     provides would be a new extension to the WS-Reliability protocol.  Such

     an  extension would,  primarily, reduce  the size  of the  known subset

     requiring resends  since any a  priori information would  indicate only

     that a consumer payload had been possible.

3) The  description of  duplicate  elimination in  section  3.2.2 does  not

    describe  the  content  of  either  the  immediate  underlying  protocol

    response nor an RM-Reply that may be sent later (in the callback or poll

    RM-Reply cases).   In particular, whether or not  consumer payloads from

    the response sent the first time  (in the case when the earlier response

    had  been  lost)   may  be  returned  during  this   iteration  is  left

    unspecified.  As Sunil has  stated, some have implementation issues with

    caching  payloads  in  the  receiving   RMP  though  this  is  the  most

    appropriate way to handle the  duplicate message.  We might thus avoid a

    new requirement but concentrate on ensuring caching is allowed.

3a) Sunil mentioned  in a private email that no RM-Reply  pattern at all is

     used unless an acknowledgement was  requested.  I have not searched but

     am  pretty sure  we have  not described  RM fault  semantics, duplicate

     elimination nor consumer payloads in this situation.  For example, will

     the  callback be  invoked or  the  poll include  any information  about

     successfully delivered messages when AckRequested did not appear in the

     original message?  I suspect we moved the ReplyPattern element out from

     under the AckRequested  to allow more generality here  but the existing

     text implies an RM-Reply is always publicized.

4) The  RM  Fault processing  model  described  in  section 4.5  previously

    attempted to cover responses to duplicate messages though the reader was

    not directed here from 3.2.2 "Duplicate Elimination".  I believe we have

    agreed  not to  lump  faulting  and responding  to  a duplicate  message

    together  in the  document and  have addressed  the editorial  issues in

    section 4.5.

4a)  Sunil has  outlined a  few  issues with  including a  SOAP fault  when

     returning an  RM fault.  If  I remember correctly, the  original reason

     for this addition was avoiding an  empty SOAP Body when the sending RMP

     expected a consumer payload.  If  we accept all of the restrictions and

     clarifications mentioned above (in (1) especially), the problem will be

     limited  to  use of  the  Response  RM-Reply pattern  (request-response

     underlying  protocol utilization)  with a  consumer  response expected.

     The SOAP  Fault would cause  the underlying protocol response  to match

     the  signature expected  in that  case but  may  cause interoperability

     problems  in other  cases.   Sunil  would like  to  avoid the  inherent

     redundancy of  a message containing both  SOAP and RM  faults.  He also

     points out that "send a SOAP fault" is not specific enough.

5) The   specification   is   generally   vague  about   the   meaning   of

    "application-level"  and talks  about WSDL  primarily as  describing the

    producer /  consumer interaction without making  this distinction clear.

    In some  cases, WSDL operation or  MEP types are applied  at all levels.

    As a  relatively editorial matter, we must  clarify distinctions between

    exchanges  controlled by  the RMP  processing ("underlying  protocol" or

    SOAP  message exchanges)  and how  the  RM-Reply patterns  map to  those

    exchanges  and the  producer /  consumer interface  (sometimes described

    using consumer-provided WSDL).  In effect, the producer and consumer sit

    on top  of an RMP that  is (abstractly) implemented  using an underlying

    SOAP   processor.   That   SOAP  processor   provides  the   one-way  or

    request-response message deliveries used for the RM-Reply patterns.  The

    RMPs  effectively  provide  another,  higher quality  of  service,  WSDL

    binding that the producer and  consumer use to interact.  We probably do

    not need to include the SOAP processor explicitly in our model but we do

    need  to  be clear  throughout  or  document  what level  is  discussed.

    Primarily, section  5.2 will be the  main place in which  the producer /

    consumer interface  come to the fore.  And,  no, this is not  as large a

    change as it seems.

·  RE: [wsrm] Problems in Section 5.2
From Jacques Durand <JDurand@us.fujitsu.com> on
19 Jun 2004 00:20:32 -0000

Title: RE: [wsrm] Problems in Section 5.2

Tom:

I'll try to address some of these points by Monday,

but so far I believe that WSDL descriptions should not be concerned with RM headers...

See inline,

Jacques