Subject: Re: [wsrm] Discussion on Duplicate elimination issue from 6/14 minutes

 Here is the mail I sent on Duplicate Elimination a week ago.
 It has the summary, possible solutions and my preferred solution.

 I'd like to summarize the options of using Duplicate Elimination for a
 Request-Response MEP.

 1) Cache the message until the original request expires and Send the
    "payload  response" for every subsequent request.
 2)  Send an empty SOAP envelope.
      (Note that when there is no AckRequested, there won't be any Ack and
      hence the SOAP envelope will have empty Header/body).
 3)  Send a signal that it is a "Duplicate Message".
 4)  Spec. says that this is combination is not supported.

 While I personally like (4),  we can't do it as the TC voted to support
 this combination.

 I'm very un-comfortable with (2) as it will cause all kinds of issues and
 as such it is meaningless/un-informative to send "empty signal".

 As per (1), while it is theoritcally reasonable and easy to implement,
 it is impractical from a product/solution perspective.

 Here are few reasons:
 (i) Potentially can throttle the server with memory being sucked up.
    Generally speaking, expire time is used optimistically and will have a
    large life span. Caching responses that long is not too good .
(ii) I believe this thing (async. responses) is beyond the scope
    of this specification and should be handled  in the "OASIS Asynchronous
    Service Access  Protocol TC"  [1]
(iii) There are many subtle things about caching responses:
         - there should be mechanism to invalidate the cache
         - what if the request has time sensitive information. for ex.,
           if I ask for getStockQuote for Oracle with a duration of say 1 hr...
           Assume the first  message is lost.
           Say the RMP resent the same message after 10 mins... they may
           get a stock quote that was 10 mins. ago.
           So if time sensitive data exists, there should be mechanism
           for data resync..

 So for these reasons, I just like a RM signal [3] solution so that
 the application can resend the request.

 If so, how to achieve this:
   a)  Send a SOAP Fault.
   b)  Send a RM Signal/Warning.

 Between these two, I prefer (b), but not both.

 Or,  an option to support both (1) & (3) is also acceptable.

 -Sunil

[1] -  http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=asap