Subject: Kicking off the discussion of the WS-R and WS-S Composability document

Comments below Tom's intro.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Rutt" <TOM@COASTIN.COM>
This week Alan posted a contribution specifically on composing
ws-security features along with ws-reliablity features, at:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/download.php/10944/WS-R%20WS-Security-Draft.pdf

> This is intended to be used as input for an specific implementation
> guideline on how to add ws-security along with ws-reliability.
> Jacques and Alan have volunteered to be editors of this draft. TC
> members should review this document and focus on what additional
> usage scenarios we need to develop for progression of this document.

1. The referenced composability document (url above), does not discuss how to encrypt the WS-R headers, as that might preclude the use of intermediaries, e.g. a router, which wouldn't necessarily posses the encryption key(s) for multiple pairwise connections.
Another example of an intermediary could be a "cypher engine" that received outoging reliable messages at the edge of the enterprise and encrypted them for external transmission.

2.  We should also consider a point to point model (with no intermediaries) where the headers would be encrypted.  Thus, their integrity would be preserved, even if there was a "man in the middle" that attempted to corrupt or pick off the header information.  Any suggestions?

alan

Alan Weissberger

1 408 863 6042 voice
1 408 863 6099 fax