wsrp-comment message

Subject: RE: [wsrp-comment] Comment on Today's Joint Interfaces Working Telecon

How about a generic notion that leaves the scope of the session open:

Session: a session groups sequential requests between a producer and a
consumer into a conversation, allowing producers to maintain transient
state across a related set of calls from the same Consumer.

And another suggestion: how about renaming it to "scope" or
"conversation" to make the distinction between the conceptual notion and
the implementation feature (a producer session may be used to implement
transient entitles, portal handles and many other things).

So the API would become ...createScope(), destroyScope() or
createConversation() etc.

Eilon

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Thompson [mailto:richt2@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 4:34 PM
To: wsia-comment@lists.oasis-open; wsrp-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [wsrp-comment] Comment on Today's Joint Interfaces Working
Telecon

This eliminates recognizing that the Producer actually manages the
lifecycle of the session. How about a case where a Producer service
(example, a cooperating set of HR related entities) that wants to
enforce a policy that each End-User (assume identification by some
credential is
required) interacts through exactly 1 session for all the entities
regardless of the number of windows/devices/Consumers the End-User uses
to connect in parallel. Why would we need to exclude the Producer
service from being able to enforce such a policy?

                      Michael Freedman

                      <Michael.Freedman@        To:
wsia-comment@lists.oasis-open,
                      oracle.com>
wsrp-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
                                                cc:

                      06/11/2002 04:18          Subject:  Re:
[wsrp-comment] Comment on Today's Joint Interfaces
                      PM                         Working Telecon

How about something like:

Session:  represents a conversation between a producer and a consumer.
The scope of the conversation is defined by the consumer and may include
from 1 to N entities managed by  the producer where N is all entities
that pertain to this consumer.  Such a session allows producers to
maintain transient state across the set of entities the consumer sees
fit to include in the session.

     -Mike-

Rich Thompson wrote:

> The glossary type definition I jotted down as this conversation neared

> consensus was:
>
> Session: A Producer managed transient data storage mechanism whose
> scope is defined by a Consumer. Common scopes include an End-User, a
> user group or an arbitrary Consumer defined scope.
>
> Hope this is close to what others heard as well.
>

>                       Rex Brooks
>                       <rexb@starbourne.        To:       Michael
Freedman
<Michael.Freedman@oracle.com>, Rex Brooks