wsrp-comment message

Subject: WSRP 2.0, JSR 286, and AJAX

Hello Sirs,

Here is another comment from one of the consumers of the standards you
define in regards to the recent discussions on AJAX in the WSRP mailing
list. I had left a comment about a year ago on the importance of fully
supporting AJAX cases in WSRP 2.0 and back then I had observed that
there was interest within the committee for this. However, because JSR
286 has gone further ahead than WSRP 2.0 in supporting AJAX cases, there
is a risk of disparity between WSRP 2.0 and JSR 286 which may render
irrelevant the nice JSR 168/WSRP 1.0 story that Stefan referred to. I'm
afraid that  if WSRP 2.0 by the time of its final release does not catch
up to JSR 286 in regards to AJAX support and extensions to WSRP 2.0 end
up being needed to close that gap, then all those interoperability tests
between various WSRP vendors will not have the same effect as WSRP 1.0
interoperability. That is because AJAX is far from being a marginal
feature any more and if it is not "properly" supported in both standards
without needing extensions, then interoperability will be relevant only
for non-AJAX situations. Since interoperability is such a crucial aspect
of WSRP, WSRP may become less and less relevant as AJAX cases becomes
more and more popular. In contrast, if WSRP 2.0 catches up to JSR 286 in
its AJAX support and no extensions to WSRP 2.0 are needed to nicely
support AJAX cases, then AJAX's increasing popularity will further
promote WSRP as well as JSR 286 as the standards to base AJAX solutions
on. Therefore I recommend the WSRP 2.0 committee to recognize AJAX cases
as a crucial feature that should be implemented "properly" and catch up
to JSR 286 in this respect. I, as a consumer would much prefer a late
release of WSRP 2.0 with proper AJAX support rather than an earlier
release with mediocre AJAX support. In any case, I will be implementing
my WSRP portlets using JSR 286 so I have to wait for JSR 286 regardless
and an earlier WSRP release will not have a benefit for me.

Thank you for reading.

Kind regards,
Mete Kural