Subject: RE: [wsrp-wsia] Issues agenda for 9/26

Mike,

Your point #3 (POEs and UDDI) relates to the decoupling idea that's
inherent in the Web services stack, that is: the behavior of an
application that uses remote Web services only depends on the set of
functions enabled by the Web service, but is independent of the access
method: location, protocol, etc. That is, in an ideal world, a service
can move location, etc., while the only thing the service user needs to
do is to reload the WSDL (or whatever).

The more semantics we put in a global producer, the more we deviate from
this model. Put differently, if a business entity publishes two services
(a weather service and a stock service, to use very
business-value-oriented examples), their behavior should be unchanged
based on their deployment environment (e.g., one machine, two machines,
one URL, two URLs). This means that if POEs that belong to the same
Producer behave radically different than two POEs that belong to two
Producers, then if a POE is moved from one cluster to another cluster
(for deployment reasons), users of the service (that is: portals that
use the POEs) may break due to incorrect assumptions about the
relationship. This is somewhat troubling.

One may address global services such as initEnvironment in multiple
different ways, e.g., an attribute of each POE that specifies the id (or
the URL) of the "Producer". If two POEs share the same URL (which can be
completely meaningless), then they fall into the same "bucket". Etc.

My point is at a conceptual level: one of the reasons why WSRP is needed
is to support a distributed environment (which inherently has more
challenges than a local environment). Such an environment inherently
evolves. The more assumptions we make about centralization of the
environment (e.g., multiple POEs are inherently part of a global scope),
the more we run into deployment issues that relate either to inability
to distribute services or to fragility due to changes in a deployment
environment.

Cheers,
Eilon