Subject: Re: [wsrp-wsia] Issues #6 - Is groupID required?

Rich,
   On proposal (1), you state it "requires that the Producer mediated sharing
is scoped to all of the entities it exposes".  I think it might be fairer to
state:  "In our protocol, Producer-mediated sharing is scoped to all of the
entities it exposes.  Producers needing finer grained sharing are free to
implement this function transparently to the consumer within this scope".
I.e.  The function defined in proposal (2), is easily implemented entirely
within the producer without exposing any notion of groupID.
   As for proposal (2), that do we think the value of tighter "grouping" is?  I
recall two have been discussed:  (1) used to isolate two instances of a portlet
from each other -- i.e. a portlet doesn't have to worry about colliding with
other instances of itself in this shared space (2) a way to pass/manage sharing
between a set of portlets.
    I don't see how either of these is satisfied by your second proposal. If I
understand it correctly, the preferredGroupID is at the entity [type] level not
the per entity level.  I.e. all consumer configured entities derived from this
proffered entity get the same preferredGroupID.  If this is the case then value
(1) cited above isn't achieved.   As value (2) is just an extension of (1) --
i.e. the use case is meant to group a specific set of entities -- not all
consumer configured entities + its prooffered entity, it also isn't achieved.
   Can you explain the usage case proposal (2) addresses?
       -Mike-