Subject: RE: [wsrp-wsia] Issues #6 - Is groupID required?

I believe that policy should be separated from mechanism, if possible, but
for common mechanism to be supported well by the protocol. This is why the
producer advertises a "preferredGroupID", leaving the consumer free to
prefer-not-to (a possibility Rich describes by example in (2) below).
Classes of users of the protocol (interoperable consumers and producers) may
then select to follow a common policy. A sensible one (for strict
application scopes at the producer) would be to only allow the consumer to
further specify sub-groupings on the preferredGroupIds (and to only accept
consumers following the producer's strict policy). Selecting the policy is,
in my opinion, a kind of vendor extension, but likely common to classes of
vendors (which could be added as policy rule appendixes, e.g. for JSR168).

The mechanism really needs groupID to be communicated *both* in
initEnvironment() [iff initEnvironment() required] and in all scoped
operations. Otherwise, we will be limited to one and only one policy (or
worse none, e.g. if groupID is controlled by the end user or groupID is
unused or vendor-private).

In this view, both
no-group-ID&no-user-load-balancing/producer-is-single-application and
consumer-may-only-subdivide-producer-application-groups are candidates for a
grouping policy appendix (but I still think the latter makes the former, at
best, redundant).

	-- Andre