Subject: [wsrp-wsia] Re: [wsia] 10-17 Minutes

Joe,
   Please don't be concerned.  There is an emphasis on the JSR as its
another standard relating to portlets that WSRP must interoperate with.
However this emphasis should only have two impacts on wsrp.  First, it
should challenge us to ensure that wsrp is either a superset of JSR
semantics or at a minimum provides the flexibility so JSR semantics can
be built.  In the particular discussion yesterday, WSRP prefers to
hide/demphasize sharing state between portlets in the same producer.
JSR mandates this behavior.  This is a situation where WSRP needs to be
flexible so the JSR semantics can be provided.  Where things are getting
fuzzy (in WSRP) is that the original mechanism we designed to support
this flexibility, namely groupID, was replaced later with
initEnvironment().  Discussion is ensuing to see if groupId is still
needed.
  I am not sure I understand your second point.  I don't recall any
discussions tending toward 1 portlet per producer.  What was discussed
yesterday is whether there will be 1 or more JSR applications per
producer.  A JSR application is much like a producer in that it
repersents many portlets.  The use case IBM is concerned about is a
Portal that is a WSRP server.  I.e. the Portal wants to publish all the
portlets it manages to the outside world via WSRP.  In this situation
the Portal's portlets are likely represented/implemented via multiple
JSR applications.  IBM wants our protocol to be flexible enough to make
this implementation simple [for the producer] at a cost to all
consumers.
   -Mike-