Subject: Re: [wsrp-wsia] [change request #60] decoding parameters

I would prefer to state explicitly what "consistently" and "properly" means
in this context.
like:
... is required to encode passed parameters in the same character set as
the SOAP message.

Best regards
Carsten Leue

-------
Dr. Carsten Leue
Dept.8288, IBM Laboratory Böblingen , Germany
Tel.: +49-7031-16-4603, Fax: +49-7031-16-4401

             Rich
             Thompson/Watson/I
             BM@IBMUS                                                   To
                                       wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org
             01/24/2003 05:51                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       [wsrp-wsia] [change request #60]
                                       decoding parameters

Document: Spec
Section: 6.1.16
Page/Line: 39/42
Requested by: Michael Freedman
Old text: [Mike ...]
Proposed text: Common user agents (web browsers) encode posted data in the
character set of the response that generated the page the form is on.  As
the Producer is ignorant of this encoding and the Consumer is required to
encode passed parameters consistently (with the SOAP message), Consumers
MUST ensure that form data is properly encoded when it is passed to the
Producer.
Reasoning: I figure we will debate whether this is a MUST or a SHOULD.
Problem with SHOULD is that Producers can't be reliably written.  Problem
with MUST is the Consumer may not be able to always determine what
character set they received from the user agent.