Subject: [wsrp-wsia] [wss] Policy and Trust Implementer's Workshop Invitation

I was asked to post this in the interest of increasing input to the
formation of these standards.

Rich Thompson

---- Forwarded by Kelvin Lawrence/Austin/IBM on 01/31/2003 04:18 PM -----
"Andrew Layman" <andrewl@microsoft.com>
01/31/2003 01:56 PM

Please respond to
"Sarah Jamieson" <sarahj@microsoft.com>

<wsi_wsbasic@lists.ws-i.org>, <w3c-ws-arch@w3.org>, "Chris Kaler"
<ckaler@microsoft.com>, Kelvin Lawrence/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
cc
Karla Norsworthy/Somers/IBM@IBMUS, "Keith Ballinger"
<keithba@microsoft.com>, <sworthman@tryllian.com>,
<Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>, <dmh@contivo.com>, "Rebecca Dias"
<rdias@microsoft.com>, "Chris Kurt" <ckurt@microsoft.com>,
<hemma@verisign.com>, <dmosher@verisign.com>, <skent@rsasecurity.com>,
<sinisa.zimek@sap.com>, "Sarah Jamieson" <sarahj@microsoft.com>,
<claus.von.riegen@sap.com>, <markn@bea.com>, <pbaker@verisign.com>,
<RZolfonoon@rsasecurity.com>, <william.cox@bea.com>,
<rphilpott@rsasecurity.com>, <ANash@rsasecurity.com>,
<franz-josef.fritz@sap.com>
Subject
Policy and Trust Implementer's Workshop Invitation -- Please Forward as
Appropriate

Following the WS-I Basic Profile WG meeting February 4 - 6 in Redmond, WA,
authors of the recently-published WS-Policy, WS-Trust and
WS-SecureConversations specifications will host a one-day meeting on
February 7, 8am to 5pm, to discuss these and related specifications
(WS-PolicyAssertions, WS-Policy Attachment and WS-SecurityPolicy) and
general thoughts about the problem spaces addressed.
This is an ad-hoc, open forum for 1) SPECIFICATION AUTHORS to share
background information on the design of the specifications and to receive
feedback and 2) SOFTWARE VENDORS to discuss their ideas about the
practicality of implementing these and related Web Services
specifications.

We'd like this to be an open meeting and collect a broad range of ideas.
If you are interested in participating in the discussions, please reply to
this mail and we will make sure that there is space for you.

The agenda is currently flexible. We will include presentations on the
named specifications and welcome discussions of others. We anticipate a
good discussion on these and welcome suggestions for other items to be
included in the agenda. This should give us a good opportunity to discuss
the appropriate factoring of the needed work in this area and the
appropriate scope for key technical workgroups and specifications.

The authors of the WS-Policy, WS-Trust and WS-SecureConversations,
WS-PolicyAssertions, WS-Policy Attachment and WS-SecurityPolicy
Specifications intend to submit revised versions of these specifications
to a standards body with a commitment to grant a royalty-free license to
their necessary patents.  We need assurance that your feedback and
discussions are consistent with that goal.  (You will need to sign the
following agreement as part of registration at the meeting):

The specifications listed above (“Specifications”) are expected to be
discussed as part of this workshop.  You are not required to provide any
comments or input (“Comments”) on these Specifications, but any Comments
you do provide may be incorporated into these Specifications.  By signing
below, you (on behalf of yourself if you are an individual and your
company if you are providing Comments on behalf of the company) grant to
the authors of the Specifications (“Authors”) a non-exclusive,
non-transferable, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free
copyright license to copy, publish, license, modify, sublicense or
otherwise distribute and exploit Comments you provide. Likewise, if
incorporation of your Comments into any of these Specifications would
cause an implementation of any of such Specifications (as modified) to
infringe a patent or patent application that you control, you commit to
grant a royalty-free license to it.  You warrant that (a) to the best of
your knowledge you have rights to provide these Comments, and if you are
providing Comments on behalf of a company, you have the rights to provide
Comments on behalf of your company; (b) the Comments are not confidential
to you or to another party; and (c) to the best of your knowledge use of
the Comments would not cause an implementation of any of the
Specifications (as modified) to infringe any third-party  patent or patent
application known to you.  You also acknowledge that the Authors are not
required to incorporate your Comments into any version of any of the
Specifications.

Please reply to Sarah Jamieson (sarahj@microsoft.com)