Subject: RE: [wsrp-wsia] [change request #138] Transferring information toproxied resources

My reply attempt bounced so I'm re-sending:

Do we really need to forward cookies from the consumer? The Servlet API has
a method to encode the session identifier in URLs (note: other means for
tracking a session may be in place). Why not encode the JSESSIONID in the
resource URL? Implementations can then convert this value to a cookie and
forward the http request locally (producer side, with JSESSION cookie set,
sort of like a reverse Web proxy).

[This encodes a random identifier in the URL and so does not leak sensitive
information, if that was a concern.]

We already have PortletDescription.userContextStoredInSession and
PortletDescription.templatesStoredInSession so a producer already has all
the machinery to:

1) reference a session from a resource URL
2) inject the session ID into the load balancing
3) make sure the session is provisioned with WSRP data

Therefore I don't think we need add anything.

Also, what about direct URL requests from the Web browser? Should they not
be able to reference the producer session data also? The above scheme would
work for both Web user agent and consumer resource requests (and even
re-directs).

regards,
Andre