Subject: RE: [wsrp-wsia] Re: [change request #178] markupCharacterSet in MarkupContext

I assumed the syntax was specified by the MIME RFCs
(http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1522.html), e.g. : "; charset=utf-8". This
should only be a concern if we use base64 or attachments to send string
data.

For markupSting (sending a string as a string), I do not see why we need to
determine the charset of the used at the transport level. The application
should get a 2 byte char string (independent of whether or not SOAP was
used)?

regards,
Andre

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Thompson [mailto:richt2@us.ibm.com]
Sent: 25 February 2003 16:04
To: wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [wsrp-wsia] Re: [change request #178] markupCharacterSet in
MarkupContext

Document: Spec
Section:  6.1.10
Page/Line: 31/26
Requested by: Richard Jacob
Old text: none
New text: [o] string    markupCharacterSet
Reasoning:
Add information what charSet the returned markup actually is. This field
then must appear on the wire if markupString/Binary is returned.
Currently we state that if markupBinary is returned, the MIME type must
include the char set. But we don't define the syntax at all. If we don't
add markupCharacterSet we need to define the syntax here.
Second, if we return markupString and use anything other than soap, then
the charset must match one of the requested or be UTF-8, but which one?
The Consumer can only guess here.

[RT] Even when SOAP is used, most stacks will map the string into UTF-8
and this will be seamless for many charsets. If the Consumer is using some
other charset for the aggregated page, how complex is it to process this
charset conversion without information about the original charset?