Subject: Re: [wsrp-wsia] Handling "APPLY", "OK", "CANCEL" and "DONE"

I think the biggest question is how to draw the line so that we don't have
too much of an issue with the slippery slope character of this area. We
certainly do not want to be defining a metadata language for Consumer to
declare their control navigational semantics. Nor do we want to require a
particular means for Consumers to do some sort of match and transform on a
Portlet's markup (e.g. XSLT as a means to find/replace control
specification).

What I think has been proposed is the Consumer supplying information so
that the Portlet can write navigational semantics that will have some
consistency with other Portlets on the same page. The only candidates for
additional information of this type that have been raised are previousMode
and previousWindowState. If these were provided and used by Portlets to
navigate back, then however the Consumer chooses to set these values
becomes the level of consistency across its pages.

On the 'Look' side of the house, I think the key is keeping the set of
additional classes relatively small. Here is a suggestion:
  wsrp-cancel: Semantics = abort the current end-user activity.
  wsrp-apply: Semantics = accept and apply the current end-user activity.
  wsrp-previous: Semantics = navigate to previous page in the current
end-user activity
  wsrp-next: Semantics = navigate to the next page in the current end-user
activity

I would suggest we not deal with making a cross product of these with user
interaction (e.g. hover, selected, down, etc.) for v1 as this opens issues
related to how many such modifiers and how does the class name get
changed.

Rich Thompson

Michael Freedman <michael.freedman@oracle.com>
03/17/2003 11:58 AM