Subject: Re: [wsrp][interfaces and protocols]: Portal using WSRP Service

Gil,
   How does your two terms "Serialized/Stored Instance" and "Active Instance" differ from the one's in my document; "Personalization Data" and "Portlet Instance"?  They seem very similar to me.
    Also, why do you think its important/required that portal store/manage the portlets (producers) settings and personalization data?  Isn't there value in allowing these portlets to store/maintain this data themselves?
    -Mike-

Gil Tayar wrote:

Hi Thomas,
<note>
As I was not in the F2F, and have not yet posted to this mailing list, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Gil Tayar, I am the Chief Architect of WebCollage, and a colleague of Eilon Reshef.
</note>

I very much liked your life-cycle description, and I think it can provide a descent framework on which to base WSRP's life-cycle and interface/protocol discussions. It also complements Mike's more detailed document very well.

To summarize the states of a portlet, you have the following:

1. Unbound: The portlet exists, but there is _no_ connection to the portal.
2. Bound: the portlet is bound, and registered in the portal.
3. Template: a portlet template is created by the portal, with a given set of parameters.
4. Instance: A template inside a given user page.

As a member of WSIA, where states #1-#3 do not "exist" (yet!), I would like to dig deeper into the "Instance state". It seems to me that this state should be subdivided into two:

4a. Serialized/Stored Instance: the template and the customizations the user selected and put in the page, as it exists in the "persistence store/database" of the portal.
4b. Active Instance: the entity used to render the portlet and "do the actions".

I believe the distinction between the two is an important one, as important as the distinction between a java object serialized to a stream, and the java object itself. One (the serialized object or portlet) is "just" data used to create the other.

To make another point, the state names I gave are a bit confused. Some are "states" and some are "entity types". We can deconstruct this further:

Entity Types -
1. Portlet. The remote service that responds to WSRP messages.
2. Bound Portlet. The location and registration information for the Portlet, as stored by the portal.
3. Portlet Template. The set of parameters to be used when creating a Stored Instance, as stored by the portal.
4. Stored Portlet Instance. The set of customization options to be used for a certain user page, as stored by the portal.
5. Active Instance. The viewed portlet, when viewed inside the portal.

The above lists turns the "states" into more of a list of "operations" which create entities from other entities -
Operations -
1. Binding: a request of the administrator(?) to the portal to register the portlet and store location and registration information, to be used when creating a portlet template.
2. Creating a Template: Using the location and registration information, get the meta-data, query the administrator(?) for the parameters, and store them.
3. Inserting Template into Page: User selects a template, customizes it, and creates a Stored Portlet Instance from it.
4. Viewing the Portlet: User opens portal, and the portal creates an Active Instance from the Stored Instance.Hope it makes sense,Gil-----Original Message-----