Subject: RE: [wsrp][interfaces]: Portal Usage Scenario

Gil - I checked your checkboxes as an answer.

Best regards
Carsten Leue

-------
Dr. Carsten Leue
Dept.8288, IBM Laboratory Böblingen , Germany
Tel.: +49-7031-16-4603, Fax: +49-7031-16-4401

|         |           Gil Tayar        |
|         |           <Gil.Tayar@webcol|
|         |           lage.com>        |
|         |           04/14/2002 08:10 |
|         |           Gil Tayar        |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       "'Sasha Aickin'" <AlexanderA@plumtree.com>, Michael Freedman <Michael.Freedman@oracle.com>                                  |
  |       cc:       wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org                                                                                                   |
  |       Subject:  RE: [wsrp][interfaces]: Portal Usage Scenario                                                                               |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |                                                                                                                                             |

Mike,
The definition for portlet instance as a "a portlet in the portal layout
structure" is still confusing. Let me ask a question which will maybe make
things clearer between us - if no user is seeing a portal page, does a
portlet instance exist?

If the answer is yes, then a portlet instance is not (only?) a runtime
manifestation. Moreover, we do not have a name for the runtime
manifestation, and I feel we should.
If the answer is no, then what is the word for the design time
manifestation? Is it the "portlet template"?

My feeling is that there should be concensus on the answer to this
question, so that we will be on common ground on this very important term -
portlet instance.

So, let me re-ask the question (and I would really appreciate if all WSRP
members could answer), and make them more answerable :
1. If no user is seeing no portal page at a certain point in time, does a
portlet instance exist at that time?
Answers:
(x) Yes
( ) No
( ) Other:
2. If a user is seeing a portal page at a certain point in time, is it the
portlet instance which is rendering the portlet?
Answers:
(x) Yes
( ) No
( ) Other: