Subject: RE: [wsrp][markup] Allowed HTML Tags

Rich,

this is an interesting question.

I think it should not be the responsibility of the portlet / portlet
service to adapt to the location where its markup gets displayed, this
would increase the development effort for each single services. It is
simple for a portal server to add what is required for table cells, iFrames
or other surroundings in front of and after the portlet fragment markup.

Not making portlet services aware of surrounding markup structure also
allows portal servers to render portlet fragments in surrounding markup
environments without requiring special support on the portlet side.

The allowed/forbidden tag lists we already got for HTML and XHTML Basic
seem pretty promising, it seems only few tags need to be forbidden. For
VoiceXML / WML things will be more difficult, though.

Best regards,

Thomas

Rich Thompson/Watson/IBM@IBMUS on 04/15/2002 04:38:49 PM

Please respond to Rich Thompson/Watson/IBM@IBMUS